Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need advice on some first boats I've found!

I need advice on some first boats I've found!

Hey All,

I've recently moved to Melbourne and want to start fishing on Port Phillip bay. I have a 6 year old son and a wife that might join me from time to time. I've done a bit of kayak fishing but always wanted a small boat (or jetski ) to fish from.

I've been looking around for a tinnie or something similar and I want to spend as little as possible on this first boat to learn the ropes. I do want to be safe and be able to get around easily and fish comfortably... but nothing too flashy.

I've found a few boats under $3k. I'm not sure if this is too 'cheap'. Most importantly I don't want to buy a lemon... something that'll cost too much to get functional and or endless maintenance costs.

BUT I don't know what I'm looking at and would appreciate any advice.

Here are a few boats that I've seen:

Bertram Caribbean 16ft, 115hp evinrude
    $2200
    16ft very solid hull, with no cracks or soft spots
    Freshly painted tilt trailer, with bearing buddies, L.E.D lights, round plug
    Electric tilt, hydraulic steering 115hp very strong evinrude engine in good condition,
    Has a speedo
    Marine radio
    Large bait board
    Battery ect ect
    Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.26.21 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.26.48 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.27.05 pm.jpg

Easy rider 156 115hp Johnson open cab fiberglass boat
    $3000
    Stessl Edge-V 3.7M BOAT with 15HP Mercury motor, bimini. All accessories included, with rego all ready to go boating.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.30.03 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.30.18 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.30.25 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.30.33 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.30.42 pm.jpg

Aluminium Boat for Sales, 4.4m
    $2000
    Aluminium Boat for Sales, 4.4m GOOD CONDITION, Yamaha 40, Oil Injected
    Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.34.31 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.34.44 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.34.54 pm.jpg

Any advice will be appreciated!!!

Re: I need advice on some first boats I've found!

Seems like quite a range there. Perhaps if you describe what type of boating you want to do, it might help to give advice.

I’d be investing a lot of money on pre purchase inspections on each of those.

Be very wiry of old trailers that have been painted usually there is no point in painting a galvanised trailer other than ascetics or to hide rust

there are tell tale signs on fibreglass boats that show rot in the timber

*black/brown stains below the drain plug indicates the wood is rotted and leaking water
    *look for stains around the transom hooks, handles, fish finders etc...
    *take note of how many holes are in the transom this should give u a rough indication of how long ago the transom had been replaced if u see heaps than it may have been a while since being rebuilt however some fishos keep thereboats for 30-40 years and dont add much to them as in bolt on's
    *walk around inside the boat every square foot look for soft spots
    *look under the hull for cracks or repairs u can see repairs quiet easily as the gel and flow coat are usually painted over u can see it where there are chips and the paint flaking

the second boat u posted looks really nice, that aluminium boat is probably 40 years old and still kicking probably last another 20 years as it sits aluminium boats also hold high resale value in summer

GBC is on the money but go look at the boats first see if u can see any tell tail signs your self if u do walk away if u don't than invest the $400 on a pre perchase inspection

All those motors are as old as the hills, if you know nothing about boats, pay someone who does to have a look for you, it will be money well spent, might save you buying a money pit!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    All those motors are as old as the hills, if you know nothing about boats, pay someone who does to have a look for you, it will be money well spent, might save you buying a money pit!
    This x 100

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as paying someone to do a Pre sale inspection. Thanks guys. And to answer the first question: I just want to fish in the bay with my son.

i suggest you dont look at anything under $15,000 and get it inspected before you laydown your money. You need something about 4.3-5m to be reasonably safe in Port pb, especially as you are new to this place. It can blow a pretty mean wave in the afternoon.
    the boats your looking at are cheap for a reason or two. Probably need a new trailer $3-$4000, a motor upgrade $6000 s/h or $10,000 ish new. And thats assuming the boat is sound. Rotted timbers in the structure could cost up to $10,000 to fix. Smallish aluminium boats are best left to people with experience in ppb. I have seen some terrifying things when the sea picks up in ppb.

Give me a call Grant. I am in Melbourne and will help guide you away from any lemons.

Cheers,

Nicholas 0419787986

To be brutally honest mate, spending $3k on a boat is not going to get you anything decent. If you want to have great times fishing, go out on charters.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Do contact Nic and get some local help.

If you have a marine mechanic in mind to look after your "new " boat he is another person to get involved in finding and checking what you are about to buy. If he is likely going to be involved servicing you motor he has another reason to help you find something that is going to last and be reliable.

Some protection from the elements would not go astray either as neither your boy or wife will want to be in the sun or rain if there is a cuddy cab or canopy to get under.

Again ring Nic, he is not a bad bloke.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Do contact Nic and get some local help.

If you have a marine mechanic in mind to look after your "new " boat he is another person to get involved in finding and checking what you are about to buy. If he is likely going to be involved servicing you motor he has another reason to help you find something that is going to last and be reliable.

Some protection from the elements would not go astray either as neither your boy or wife will want to be in the sun or rain if there is a cuddy cab or canopy to get under.

Again ring Nic, he is not a bad bloke.

Cheers
    Chimo
    +1 for this comment.
    I would love a centre console but went with the half cab option because of the kids. I find myself spending more time going to moreton island snorkeling and exploring then fishing and the kids climb into the cabin to sleep the whole return trip. They love it, especially if the weather turns a bit shit.
    Mine are older too and still love sleeping in there for the run home. I imagine your young bloke would be much the same, being on the water seems to take it out of them.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Hey Grant

"I want to spend as little as possible on this first boat to learn the ropes. I do want to be safe and be able to get around easily and fish comfortably... but nothing too flashy".

These two things don't go together unfortunately, nothing will put you off fishing and boating quicker than having a boat / trailer / motor that is unreliable and requires lot's of $$ to keep it going.....mate of mine at Aeries inlet was so proud of his first boat which cost him $3K, seller told him it was "good as gold" we took it out and it broke down in 10 minutes, the engine was poked and wouldn't run under any load (Owner started it on land and that was good enough for my inexperienced mate), anyway he's spent $'000's on it and its still a piece of crap that he's never been able to enjoy properly.

Quote Originally Posted by BM View Post
    Give me a call Grant. I am in Melbourne and will help guide you away from any lemons.

Cheers,

Nicholas 0419787986
    Your a good bloke Nicholas I'm sure you'll set OP down the right track

Grant S

Remember one important thing when buying a boat to get into boating.

The thing you have to remember is the word BOAT this simply means "bring out another thousand"

If you eventually buy a bigger BOATT then :recognize the fact that this Simply means " Bring out another ten Thousand"

We who own boats will share this with you but not your wife or she will only let you look at pictures and talk about boats but not actually buy one.

As has been said there is no such thing as a cheap boat, they either cost when you buy or later. If you are going to actually go boating spend at the start and get a sound goer.

Looking forward to see how this unfolds.......................
    What could go wrong.......................