Thread: How far North do they get River Jewfish?

How far North do they get River Jewfish?

This is the one I mean https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...sh/river-perch

The above fish is supposed to be mainly found South of Rockhampton, but I am seeing something very like it all the way up the coast (as far as Cairns or further)

Of course, it's a fair bet that it's actually some other closely related species, but it does make it damn hard to decide if the fish has a legal size/bag limit. It really doesn't look like any of the other listed jewfish species that have limits.

Re: How far North do they get River Jewfish?

I caught three just north of Mackay one afternoon about 6 yrs ago.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I caught three just north of Mackay one afternoon about 6 yrs ago.

The ones they are catching around Cairns match at least 2 of the "distinguishing features" by my reckoning i.e.
    • tail rhomboid in shape
    • inside of mouth is bright orange to yellow

A confusing factor is they do have some darker markings making them look a bit stripey when first pulled from the water.

I have heard locals call them teraglin, but the tail is the wrong shape.

Indicated Pic sure looks like ye ole Black Jew ( Juvenile ) to me which has a bag limit of two and a min of 75 cm . Silver Jew is supposed to be a no size or possesion limit ??..But Indicated Pic sez "River Perch " so cant be ??..
    Here in Happyrock we do get a simmillar looking fish aprox six inches long which is a pain in the butt when chasing Whiting as they school in the thousands and just tear away at ones bait..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Here in Happyrock we do get a simmillar looking fish aprox six inches long which is a pain in the butt when chasing Whiting as they school in the thousands and just tear away at ones bait..
    That's the little buggers. They come in plagues sometimes and your bait doesn't survive for a good fish to come along.

Yep thought so , the other ones yourve heard about which do look like a jouvenile Trag are what we sometimes get here also are what we call the Two Tooth Jew n have beem caught anywhere from nine to fifteen inches in length and really do have the Trag look alikes.
    used to be caught in plauge like the other pesky buggars and normally when chasing Whiting.
    Some people even have a said they like chewin on them but a tad soapy to my liking , though can be fun watching your Grandchildren having a ball reeling them in lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Yep thought so , the other ones yourve heard about which do look like a jouvenile Trag are what we sometimes get here also are what we call the Two Tooth Jew n have beem caught anywhere from nine to fifteen inches in length and really do have the Trag look alikes.
    used to be caught in plauge like the other pesky buggars and normally when chasing Whiting.
    Some people even have a said they like chewin on them but a tad soapy to my liking , though can be fun watching your Grandchildren having a ball reeling them in lol.
    And said Pic of these so called Two or three tooth Jew or also commonly known as Yankee Whiting . Jeuvenile Trag ??..
    Attached Images Attached Images