Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barometric pressure ...

Barometric pressure ...

Hi all,

I just have a question about the influence of barometric pressure.

My son and I spent a beautiful morning this morning flicking plastics and retrieving hard-bodies, around Queens beach in Redcliffe, then at the rock groins at Brighton, and finally at Baxter's Jetty area in Shorncliffe. All morning we had very light wind from the West.

I know you don't catch fish every trip, but we couldn't even manage a bump all morning.

I've just looked up the pressure for this morning and it was stable at around 1015 / 1016 mbar. I am aware that fish tend to go off the bite if the pressure is falling, but what effect does it have if it is just low most of the day ???

Be glad to hear your opinions / thoughts. Thanks Steve.

PS: My son wrapped the braid around his tip this morning and cast a brand new lure straight out off Queens Beach. Two things I can report, 1. I have my lure back, and 2. The water temp this morning was quite cool

Re: Barometric pressure ...

I'm interested to see knowledgeable responses on this one as I have been doing similar over the past week, different times and tides with no fish seen or caught by myself or anyone in the vicinity - even those soaking a bait. Supposedly a peak period too according to the solunar tables.
    Still a great way to spend an hour or two, given the magnificent weather.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

A fish only has to change depth by a metre and is subject to a big change in pressure, so that said, I think it has bugger all to do with ocean fishing, but, in inland locations, changes can result in insect activity, so could play a part in fish feeding, especially species that eat bugs and stuff!

OH, I also don't put a lot of faith in "tables" that claim to predict when a fish will feed, possible? maybe, but most fish are opportunist feeders, if something looks good, and their hungry, they eat, regardless if some ancient table says so or not.

I was out flicking for flatties monday and tuesday. Did well. Wednesday.... very hard to find anything over legal size other than a couple of stray tailor and a Giant Herring. (First for me on softies. Don't they pull hard!) I reckon the old mans saying of full moon empty creel is also true for the day of the new moon. Maybe something to do with spawning? Or the northerly breeze? Or the date being the 13th? Or the side of my jocks I had my pecker on? Or that jinx of a deckie I took out?
    That's why it's called fishing and not catching.
    And without trying to hijack the thread, what's the go here? Bom tide charts, willyweather and Tides Near Me app all had different days for the new moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    A fish only has to change depth by a metre and is subject to a big change in pressure, so that said, I think it has bugger all to do with ocean fishing,

Have to agree with this. It's never been a factor I consider. The big ones for me are tide and time of day. Tried the sol/lunar thing but NEVER found any relationship there to fish activity.

I am yet to be convinced about barometric pressure influence in the salt water, have seen some evidence in the fresh however.
    For me it is the time of the day and the tide tables.
    Time is usually predawn or dusk.....proven fish feeding periods.
    Tides tell me where I will fish for the dawn or dusk.

Wind direction and strength are always considered as well.
    Jack.

This time of year a massive one for the shallows on the western side of the bay is water clarity. I have a few inshore spots that simply do not fire at all around this time of year as the fish have either moved away or gone to ground as the water is too clear. I do believe that the barometer comes into things but whether that is directly or simply that the weather patterns typical of a low barometer reading are less conducive to fishing (rather than directly affecting the fish) who knows. Many moons ago my old man worked at a print shop that printed the little yellow almanacs - and I made a great game out of making sure the owner found out every time I had a great catch on an off day and vice versa. All things being equal, they may well have some use but my personal belief is that they are way down the list of things that fish worry about before having a feed. These days I fish when I can if the weathers good - doesn't add up to enough days a year that I can afford to be picky

I think moon and tide times (dawn and dusk also) play a bigger role. But I have experienced a few times when a hot bite is on and a low front moves in quite quickly the fish shut down. This may simply be a short term pressure variation that somehow has an immediate effect on the swim bladder that expands in the stomach making the fish feel full? Or for a similar reason the larger fish change depths to account for the pressure change rather than regulating the swim bladder to remain comfortable at that depth but the baitfish don’t?

The show on the sounder with the bait hovering around the mark doesn’t seem to change but the biting fish certainly stop biting. Hard to know without a camera if the target fish are still there but not feeding or they’ve moved on but it’s definitely a thing. Haven’t noticed any real differences when the pressure fronts remain stable over the period (high or low).
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

As far as swim bladder size changing goes, I think that is a furphy.
    Fish change depth continually all day and night long. A change of depth of two inches would equate to the change in size from 1015mbar to 1025mbar.....a huge swing in the weather, 3/5ths of SFA to a fish moving about.

In freshwater though it might be noticeable to fish sitting on the thermocline though...
    Jack.

Grandpa always said "1020 fish aplenty"
    not sure it's a golden rule but i have had some really good sessions in the 1020 - 1025 zone.
    I also like the baro going up or stable.
    Baro -moon- and tide are all things i pay attention too, but most of all is opportunity i won't not go because something is not in my preferred zone but i will fish differently.

BigE

Each to their own i guess and hard convincing people regarding others belief in what twitches the Fish on or off but i am and have always been a BIG believer on Moon Phases , making or dropping tides , Barometric pressure etc regarding influence towards fish bighting more or less .
    Far too many times ive noticed that prior to a blow up in weather the Fish have not only bitten but stayed on the chew for far longer into the tide to make it coincidental..
    What works for you and what you believe in will help you catch more fish until proven otherwise but never feel you are too old to learn !!..

Very little change in water pressure will result in even a huge change in air pressure, never seen wind under the water, so wind direction can't make a huge difference, never seen a fish that could read, or ever caught one with a soluner table tucked under his fin, tides can make a difference where fish feed, I think we read way too much into all this, consulting charts and tables, moon and tides, the only thing certain is, if you don't go, you as sure as shit won't catch anything, sitting at home on the lounge waiting for the hot bite, and finding out it's a work day won't help either.

Ye of little Faith noel ! And no dont neccacerilly stay home till all fall into place as most times a hunvry fish or two may stray under the hull but does make a difference between ond or more bights .

Sorry mate should have read Noel uppercase for the N , my ignorance.