Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with Zuk 175 intermittent loss of power to starter and electric trim.

Re: Help with Zuk 175 intermittent loss of power to starter and electric trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The white wire is not quite as simple as it seems, it supplies direct power to the ECU (well, kind of direct) it also supplies power to the control mounted trim switch, but not the engine mounted trim switch (tricky hey) if the white wire fails altogether it's usually a "dead" symptom, but, if it's a dirty connnection, all sorts of strange things can happen, because the ECU gets "scrambled" and doesn't do what it's called on to do, or does things wrong, I think all newer motors don't have the white wire, Suzuki changed the way it works around maybe 2010??
    Was still there last year Noel when I did the wiring install on a DF200A.

OH, OK, I thought they did away with it sometime ago, maybe some models don't have it now?

You'd think this white wire would be a recall just think of how many thousands of Suzuki's they sell in the USA and how many people would have bad battery terminals, just the thought would be crazy

I have first hand experience with a 2016 140HP white wire issue on the outside edge of the Barwon Bank a few weeks ago.
    Gave me power intermitently and doing 12 kays limp from that far out wasn't my idea of a good day out. It's a bloody disgrace from Suzuki that a well publicized issue is still in production today...
    The local repairer ripped the wires out and made a new one from scratch. As he have no faith in the factory replacement wires.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

While the design is "flawed" in many eyes for maritime use (mine included), if it is carefully installed so as to keep the fuse holder dry and the battery terminals are not getting wet (which is best practice anyway) it should never give problems. The reality of most boat fitouts unfortunately is that installers pay sweet F.all attention to electrics and the fact that they "don't play well" when it comes to water. Things like rod holders cut into decks directly above battery switches or pumps etc and then not fitted with a cap and drain hose are way too common in all brands from my experience. Is that Suzuki's fault ? Opinions will vary on that one.

Scottar is right - its not a design defect, its an installation deficiency due to poor work by the installer. And on occasion, due to poor maintenance of battery connections by owners.

Done right, as per the Suzuki installation manual, no problems.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....