Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Zuk 175 intermittent loss of power to starter and electric trim.

Help with Zuk 175 intermittent loss of power to starter and electric trim.

I have a 2008 @ 330hrs Zuk 175 that played up a bit last weekend. Running fine but when trying to start on two occasions nothing. Batts are new. Could hear clicking at the motor and trim was also not working. All other electrics radio instruments etc OK. We took cowl off and there was a little plug on rhs at transom side of motor that appeared half out. Pushed it in and motor started. Had same prob later on again but couldn't find anything...then.just seemed to work OK. I am thinking either ignition/safety switch (but not sure if this would also affect trim too) or an earth/solenoid or something else on the motor end. Have you any ideas? Just trying to work out what to look at. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Re: Help with Zuk 175 intermittent loss of power to starter and electric trim.

Had exact same problem with my 2014 Zuk a month ago. Two charged batteries, tic tic noise when trying to start, trim motor struggling, other electrics okay. Never had a problem before that.

My mechanic tested batteries cleaned all terminals, battery selector switch, earth lead, changed battery terminal connectors from wing nuts to direct to post.

Some connections had small amounts of corrosion but all clean now. No problems on last two trips.

Mechanic seemed to think alot of these types of problems come down to poor connections so I'd suggest checking there first.

The starter just clicking is usually either bad connections, or faulty cables, both positive and negative, or a failing starter, the starter is probably least likely.

My vote is loose connection as well, check everything but if batteries are new check everything is tight down there..

Similar problem not that long ago and turned out to be a wing nut a little loose, tighten up then after a bit of running around would work its way just enough to cause said issue.

Just cranked it up good and proper and all is well!

And just to be clear, remove cables and clean them, plenty have been caught out by connections that "look" clean.

Why on earth would someone wire up a late model motor to wing nuts? that's crazy they should only be used for accessories, the main terminals should be used for starting the engine

its abit like my mates boat the last owner had someone install a isolator switch they wired the earth strait to the alloy hull wnfi what the hell they were doing they bought down a 28k boat to 14k with electrolysis

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Why on earth would someone wire up a late model motor to wing nuts? that's crazy they should only be used for accessories, the main terminals should be used for starting the engine

its abit like my mates boat the last owner had someone install a isolator switch they wired the earth strait to the alloy hull wnfi what the hell they were doing they bought down a 28k boat to 14k with electrolysis
    Only my accessories were wired to the wing nuts, my issue was the loose connection there was shorting out the rest somehow causing it to lose power when I turned the key and just get a click!

My own fault but as I was the one who bought the new batteries and did the swap, so can't blame anyone but myself unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    Only my accessories were wired to the wing nuts, my issue was the loose connection there was shorting out the rest somehow causing it to lose power when I turned the key and just get a click!

My own fault but as I was the one who bought the new batteries and did the swap, so can't blame anyone but myself unfortunately!
    Ahh bugger we learn from what we do wrong mate so next time you'll know

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    What's wrong with using nylock nuts instead of wing nuts, ie is it really necessary to use the main terminals?

With Suzuki you have positive, negative and the infamous "white" wire that has been a source of annoyance for many. The one I rigged had a fuse holder in it that if was poorly positioned and subject to water / corrosion could also be an issue. Check these for a start. Have also had a client/mate with one that wouldn't start courtesy of a "start in gear protection switch " failure - wasn't intermittent though. Suzuki have more connections in their loom than enough - check them all as well.

Sounds like wing nutz and poor install to me , ok for old school motors but on the newer motors and electronic's pure clean power is an absolute minimum requirement to satisfactory functioning.

When I was running and optimax i was amazed at the difference a decent installation make to that motor.

BigE

We had the same problem recently and took us a while to find. Intermittent trimming and failure to start a couple of times. Same motor, similar hours. We replaced batteries and thoroughly checked ignition and trim switches and neutral position switches. Eventually, we found a loose connection on the motor end of the infamous white wire. After tightening, we have had no more symptoms.

Thank you for the many replies with similar experiences, fixes and past learnings. Will take the time to check battery connections (clean and then tighten) and then the engine end invluding the 'white wire'. Thank you all who contributed. Will add some feedback if I find something obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    With Suzuki you have positive, negative and the infamous "white" wire that has been a source of annoyance for many. The one I rigged had a fuse holder in it that if was poorly positioned and subject to water / corrosion could also be an issue. Check these for a start. Have also had a client/mate with one that wouldn't start courtesy of a "start in gear protection switch " failure - wasn't intermittent though. Suzuki have more connections in their loom than enough - check them all as well.
    Someone give this man a beer...
    This is the exact cause of all the grieviance above. It is a known issue with Suzuki power fuse holder " white wire "
    It's the way it's crimp from the factory, where the isulation is caught under the join, which get abit of corrosions and drop power and trim, even with 2 full charge batteries
    Humility is not a weather condition.

The wing nut terminals are only used for accessories as mentioned, u should not use nylock nuts on any electrical terminal as it can heat up and melt the nylon but who mentioned the nylon?