Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Zuk 175 intermittent loss of power to starter and electric trim.

Re: Help with Zuk 175 intermittent loss of power to starter and electric trim.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The wing nut terminals are only used for accessories as mentioned, u should not use nylock nuts on any electrical terminal as it can heat up and melt the nylon but who mentioned the nylon?
    Are you sure? The posts and the bolt are all one unit from appearances. Seamaster and Century batteries come supplied with nylocks too.

I had a scan done once and my nuts got hot.

When i bought a seamaster last it came with wing nuts non locking type, they do make metal and nylon locking nuts

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    When i bought a seamaster last it came with wing nuts non locking type, they do make metal and nylon locking nuts
    Well it's a moot point. In any case there is no sign of the nylon melting on mine. I put Vaseline on the terminals too and there is no sign of that melting either. Also if you attach direct to the post then you have the same problem as the clamps usually come with wing nuts. And like I said the posts and the bolts are all one unit so I don't see why you can't attach the power cables to the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Well it's a moot point. In any case there is no sign of the nylon melting on mine. I put Vaseline on the terminals too and there is no sign of that melting either. Also if you attach direct to the post then you have the same problem as the clamps usually come with wing nuts. And like I said the posts and the bolts are all one unit so I don't see why you can't attach the power cables to the bolts.
    i was mostly referring to pixie's post mate about his main cables going to the wing nut terminals with thecranking amps of a starter motor u caneasily melt any nylon on the nuts...

Gazza if you’re getting enough heat on the bolts to melt nylon, you have serious voltage drop and thus very very very big problems - melted nylon would be the least of those. If the heat of the bolt can melt the nylon in the nut I’m guessing the plastic battery case around the bolt/post is also in trouble!!!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I’ll put money on the connections at the white wire. Make sure it goes directly to a clean battery terminal with nyloc nuts.

Ausfish Silver Member

Realally may be right. our 200 zuk had a few hissyfits and it turned out to be a crap fuze in the white wire.replaced with new fuze holder and all good again.

I doubt the white wire has anything to do with the cranking circuit or the PTT circuit.

Silly question but i wonder if the OP had the lanyard attached?

Pulled lanyard won't stop cranking or PTT.

Ausfish Silver Member

on our 200 nothing worked when the white wire stuffed up.

The white wire is not quite as simple as it seems, it supplies direct power to the ECU (well, kind of direct) it also supplies power to the control mounted trim switch, but not the engine mounted trim switch (tricky hey) if the white wire fails altogether it's usually a "dead" symptom, but, if it's a dirty connnection, all sorts of strange things can happen, because the ECU gets "scrambled" and doesn't do what it's called on to do, or does things wrong, I think all newer motors don't have the white wire, Suzuki changed the way it works around maybe 2010??

Read this info on the white wire issue. Most likely your problem lies with this issue. Those who think it doesnt affect cranking or PTT simply dont know Suzukis and are wrong.

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...-power-failure
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Ausfish Silver Member

on the older models the fuze was about half way between the battery and the controls(under the bloody floor on ours) i replaced the wire and fuzed near batt pickup.

not saying this is the problem but it really give me the shits till I worked out