Thread: Furuno 588 vs Garmin 952

Furuno 588 vs Garmin 952

Has anyone run a 587 or 588 alongside one of the garmin gpsmap chirp combo's, eg 952. I'm considering breaking rank and going to running two gpsmap 952's in the new rig but being a long time furuno man I having trouble convincing myself!! Just really concerned with the quality of the 952 sounder as compared to furuno 588 which is my benchmark. Any first hand experience welcome. Sounder setup will likely be one of these two with SS175HW trannny.

Scott

Re: Furuno 588 vs Garmin 952

where abouts are you fishing scott?

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Moose, normally 30m to 80m. This said I also fish the shelf (game fishing) allot and i'm getting geared up for deep drop. Plan was 2 units, one running SS175hw for the stuff up to 100m and a ss175L or M for the deeper stuff, so really l'm looking for good 1KW performance 30m to 400m as far as bottom fishing goes utilising 2 units and 2 tranny's. Originally my plan was two of the new furuno chirp units in 9 inch but the time you put that package together with tranny's and the furuno autopilot its close enough to 15 grand. Garmin package for same functionality about 9.5 grand. As per the post i'm coming from a 585 in the old rig so was interested in how people rate the 952, I'm also open to having one of the garmin units as a 1022. I was keen on 2 combo's for redundancy and flexibility and the need to run 2 tranny's to get the depth range. My options are

2 * furuno 9"
    2* garmin 952's
    1 * 588, 1*952
    1*952, 1*garmin 1022

whatever I end with will have compatible pilot and maybe radar in time. Anyway, all first world problems but hard to decide when you have run the same old unit for sol long and no real experience with the new chirp/touch stuff.

Scott

With the Raymarine axiom,Touch screen only displays are a pain in the ass with wet fingers so I fitted the rmk10 remote, I’ll most likely go a 588 and just use the axiom for maps, I’m just waiting to see some side by side reviews compared to the gp1971f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

From what I have seen - not model specific, traditional gives better bottom definition and the chirp gives better target separation for fish and depth performance at lower cost. Personally having seen both I am not a massive fan of chirp but others love it.

I love the chirp definition and target separation.

BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

for those who are interested image of a Bumpa Bar jig dropping in front of two good mac's

BigE

Thanks for the feedback men, gives me some pointers re what differences to look at. Big-E, that 7410 look alright. One question re those garmin systems is there are setting where you can flatten the bottom like the furuno's?

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Thanks for the feedback men, gives me some pointers re what differences to look at. Big-E, that 7410 look alright, I like the idea of the buttons on those. One question re those garmin systems is there are setting where you can flatten the bottom like the furuno's?
    Make sure you get a look at one working (for real in some swell - not on the simulator) or at least some pics if bottom lock is a must have. Some of the other manufacturer's bottom locks are pretty average (or at least used to be - may have changed) when compared to the Furuno's - basically not keeping up with swell activity. Something that may be of consideration is whether the new Furuno combo takes it one step further and does bottom discrimination (zero in the centre of the screen with "x" metres of water column up and hardness down) if that is something you may be interested in.

Yep, that for sure scottar, i'm kicking myself now for not ducking down to the sanct cove show to have a play with the new furuno 1971F units, i'm guessing a TZ would be a pretty comparable system as far as the sonar goes. Might duck into trymax tomorrow and have some more play time.

Why not go a tz with dff3d? Single unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Thanks for the feedback men, gives me some pointers re what differences to look at. Big-E, that 7410 look alright. One question re those garmin systems is there are setting where you can flatten the bottom like the furuno's?
    Yes there is a bottom lock feature and it works well, really good for identifying gravel and shale when there is little change in depth.

BigE

I haven't played with a furuno so I cant compare the outputs, i think the head units are much of a muchness now days it really is an install/software battle and also understanding the data on the screen.

BigE

Had a look today, recon i'll go a 7410 and a 952. Get the bigger screen for the sounder this way, keep all the networking benefits and sort of meet the budget.
    Thanks all.
    Scott