Thread: 15hp mounting

15hp mounting

Hi guys,

I’m picking up my new 350 outback explorer this week, it’s going to be trailered 100% of the time.

I’m putting a 2016 DT15A on it, just wondering if you would just thumb screw the engine? Or should I permanently mount it by using 8mm bolts? What would you do on a small crabbing boat like this if it were you and why?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: 15hp mounting

permanent bolting is obviously more secure, and if you intend to always trailer it, should be OK. Trailering on bad roads? Bolting is better. But, if you have some kind of swamping mishap, and these happen a lot with dinghies, IMO, you are in trouble. If you can't easily get that motor off the back to manhandle the whole thing, it's about 3 times as hard to manage. That would be the only downside, apart from the security aspect of being able to easily lift it off the back and lock it up in a shed. Although the bolting helps the security aspect a little.

I'd bolt it on.
    Seen video's of little outboards falling off tinny's, clamps obviously rattled loose. Some pretty funny vid's on youtube, not very funny for the boats operators though.

The only thing I’m abit dicky on is the motor only has one set of holes, unlike bigger engines that have 5-6 sets of holes, once you drill you can’t ever adjust the motor height, probably the only negative I’ve thought of.

sort your engine height first, then bolt it, have seen a few jump off recently. a mates jumped of the back while backing off, and it was the fuel line that stopped him losing it.

Definately bolt it and zip tie the handscrews together so they can't come loose. Tight turns can make them slip on transom if not bolted.

I don't bother bolting mine but do make a point of tightening the screws and padlocking them together and then lifting the leg manually with it locked to make sure it's secure. The main reason being that my engine is stored off the boat in the shed. You can also add a safety chain at the right length so that it is pretty much impossible for the engine to jump off if you so wish.

Ausfish Silver Member

was gonna suggest what scotta said,,, one bolt with chain so you can still lift it off and store etc..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Just check the thumbscrews before donuts or other high speed manouvers

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

I have a 20HP that isn't bolted, thumb screws haven't come loose over the past 10+ years. Have a small chain through the thumb screws as security, can't undo the screws without removing the chain which is padlocked.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    I have a 20HP that isn't bolted, thumb screws haven't come loose over the past 10+ years. Have a small chain through the thumb screws as security, can't undo the screws without removing the chain which is padlocked.

youve been lucky mate, but motors can and do come off, and if you cant affford the risk of sinking a new or good motor then a quick safety chain is well worth it to have piece of mind..

Hi guys,

So I got the boat, motor height is sorted, I’m ready to bolt it on, I was looking at the transom on the explorer and just want to be sure how everyone does this !!

So wear the bolts would go through there are two pieces of aluminium with nothing but air between them, one is the outside of the transom (with the plastic plate) the other inside one is were the top thumb screws do up, but I’m wondering if I bolt the motor do you go through both plates, or just the outside one ?

Ausfish Silver Member

mate i dont know to answer your last question, maybe someone will, but if your not tight for dough brismarine clontarf quoted me $115 to bolt a 15hp motor on the other day, if your confident great and not to take the fun away from you, but if your not sure get the local boat shop to do it..

Yeah I think I will mate, I’ve got the height sorted, I trailer it everywhere and I’m abit nervous about it jumping off on a dirt road or large pothole, I’ll take it back to where i bought it, they said they would fit it for $50 odd bucks when I bought it off them.

Ausfish Silver Member

ive put a couple on myself but they were older little dinghys with $300 motors, i got a better boat/motor now and im gonna have the boys at the boat shop do it, hopefully as they do it all day long it will be done good and safe..