Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats my Outboard motor worth??

Whats my Outboard motor worth??

Just wondering if you knowledgeable people might be able tell me what my outboard is worth to sell.

Its a 1997 115hp Yamaha Salt Water Series 2 stroke. Low hours, very good compression, the engine is in excellent condition, the body is good condition (no damage, just rub marks on the cowling paint).

It comes with forward controls, external oil tank, unopened 4lt Yamalube. It also comes with brand new in box Yamaha Taco and wire harness kit (cost $700).

I know these motors are a sought after 2 stroke, but what do think is a realistic price for the motor and all the extras?

PS - dont know if this makes a difference - location is Sydney

Thanks
    Dave

Re: Whats my Outboard motor worth??

dave that is probably the best 2 stroke motor of its era that size hp holds good value to, my mates have the 115hp or 130hp 2004 and that motor isbullet proof they have never had a problem and we have put something like 150 hours on it

depends on what you consider low hours, 3-5k ignoring the tacho kit

worth more if you leave it on the boat so people can test it

people dont want them anymore as the fuel use is significant, the people who dont want them are looking for a repower for their busted outboard or a older hull with transom weight restrictions

You'll be suprised Steve the 2 stroke market is still really strong just because the 4 stroke motors still hold high value they are relatively still only 15-18 years old, there are quiet a few people out there that want the raw power of the 2 stroke over the soft 4 strokes take off

there are a lot of non rated transom's out there too way more than rated transoms so it leave a ton of people pondering, the 4 strokes only have good fuel economy in there favour but if u consider a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke based on fuel saving you'll need to do hundreds if not thousands of hours to equal the same purchase price

3k, Perhaps a little more to a 2 stroke purist who does not do heaps of hours so fuel use not an issue and likes the idea of the old keep it simple 2 strokes ( that being me )

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

$3000 tops, should sell easy enough, age is against it. example my dad went into a mercury dealership one day and asked about a service for a 2007 model outboard, but he told them by mistake that it was a 1997 model. Their response was that they dont service outboards of that age anymore.

CatShark - Your right, age is aginst it. But its low hours and goes like a new motor - bit thirsty (2 stroke). Get on the plane, sit on 4,500rpm and it just purs like a kitten. Sometime I wonder why I am upgrading. Anyway, its off the boat (refurb) so now is the time to upgrade.

I am no expert, but I thought the motor was worth at least $3,500. Add the brand new Taco Kit ($700), plus forward controlls, external oil, bits and pieces, and I thought $4k was fair & reasonable. Not sure I would go below that.

Because everyone wants to screw you, I put it on FleaBay and GumTree for $4,950. Honestly, I think with the brand new Taco Kit its worth $4k, but hey I am no expert, thats why I asked you guys.

Cheers
    Dave

why are you upgrading? it may be a good motor but you need to find a buyer that wants it, i would put it on gumtree myself for about $4500 and see what the reaction is, your gonna get some ridiculus low ball offers, but you should get 3500 if your lucky, i wouldnt let it go for under 3k because it still has the 115HP, so someone perhaps doing up a centreconsole project per say might just be the right person to take it off ya hands. years back i had a 140 seahorse johno on the back and couldnt wait to upgrade, in the end , dealer only gave me like 1500 trade in for it . never did miss it. however i am still a fan of two strokes. You will get the money you want for it but it may be for sale for a bit longer than you may hoped for..

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    You'll be suprised Steve the 2 stroke market is still really strong just because the 4 stroke motors still hold high value they are relatively still only 15-18 years old, there are quiet a few people out there that want the raw power of the 2 stroke over the soft 4 strokes take off

there are a lot of non rated transom's out there too way more than rated transoms so it leave a ton of people pondering, the 4 strokes only have good fuel economy in there favour but if u consider a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke based on fuel saving you'll need to do hundreds if not thousands of hours to equal the same purchase price
    we are talking fishing boats here not ski boats so pretty absurd statement

A properly propped four stroke will get on the plane as well as a 2 stroke
    also no fumes, quiet, no vibrations at idle they are going to be newer so more reliable then a 20 year old 2 stroke
    more then just fuel savings going for a four stroke also that good fuel economy means more range

the 90hp Johnson on my cruise craft was only good for 100km so fads and back off Sydney with a safety reserve of 1/3 on the 120l in floor tank
    a four stroke would have been 160km

also a four stroke of the same age wont be the same price and if it is will be a shagged piece of rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    $3000 tops, should sell easy enough, age is against it. example my dad went into a mercury dealership one day and asked about a service for a 2007 model outboard, but he told them by mistake that it was a 1997 model. Their response was that they dont service outboards of that age anymore.
    The reason for the age thing is too many service centres have to deal with dickheads who can't distinguish between a serviceable item and if something else should fail on that outboard post service but non related. Too often service centres feels the wrath of the owner for not crystal balling a potential failure. The older the motor the more likely wear and tear will catch up with it, Nobody's fault just a component decides to reach its life span for one reason or another.

As for the OP, New Tacho etc don't mean squat. Your motor falls into the budget category where a potential buyer is more inclined to be price point and HP conscientious not brand specific and and unless they are swapping out like for like would be expecting as part of any potential purchase forward controls etc etc.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I cant see anymore than $2000 in it. Any outboard that old is a gamble. If it was from a dealer with 12 months warranty then maybe $3500.

The short answer - what ever an individual is prepared to pay. All you can do is throw it on the market at the dollars you want and gauge the interest from there. The last boat I sold was worth about $15K if I parted it out. Apart from scammers I didn't get a contact until the price hit $8K. All depends how long you want to wait for said individual too.

gauge the interest from there

I see what you did

Being winter there sure is some competition for this old girl to go up for sale think i remember seeing a 2007 E-Tec 90hp or 115hp asking price was 4k in Sydney just weeks ago on gumtree, there was a Mercury i think 120hp? 4 stroke i think it was 2003 model something like that i can barely remember it for only a couple of grand unsure if it had problems but i thought it was bloody cheap for a used 4 stroke of its hp rating

the yamaha 115hp was a common motor and every man and his dog had one back in the 90's because the 4 strokes were just rolling out so any potential buyers will need to see your add stand out and appeal to them otherwise a lot of people often just go for whats cheapest on the market

at what point do u say a 21 year old motor is of vintage age? it's been around this long it will surely be around a lot longer too in saying that

you also need to realize back in 1997 that motor probably cost $7000 brand new today your asking almost $5000, just whatever u do don't cash it in at the boat shop they'll give u $500 lol they are ruthless

most outboard dealers won't work on engines over 10 years old its a common practice you need to go to smaller marine mechanics who service all makes and models, this 10 year rule applies not only to outboards but bikes and so on

Thanks for the feedback everyone.Seems to be a pretty broad range of answers, which is ok. I think the bottom line is that its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. However, it also worth what I am prepared to sell it for.

If the motor had any issues, or lots of hours, then ok I would have to drop the price. But its actually a really good low hours two stroke. If I cannot get at least $3,600 for the motor and $400 for the Taco kit, so $4k absolute minimum, then I am going to respray the cowling and put it back on my boat when I have finished refurbing. Given that I average about 40 to 60 hours a year engine time, its hard to justify an expensive upgrade.

Anyway, I have only just listed the motor for sale, so we shall see how it goes.
    Thanks again.