Thread: Burpengary Creek at low tide.

Burpengary Creek at low tide.

Thinking of launching at Oleary Av and motoring down to the mouth. Google Maps shows it meanders about with a number of branches that go out and come back together again. Can it be done at low tide ? The Ulman road ramp on the Caboolture River would be good, but at low tide I think access would be difficult accross the flats.

Re: Burpengary Creek at low tide.

Take this on the basis it has been a couple of months since I was down there, but I dont remember having any weather big enough to make changes since.

Navigable at low tide - absolutely not. Where it branches in to 3 it would be lucky to be 6 inches deep on a low tide, shallowest is where it splits in to 3 branches. I have to walk the kayak through. It is generally okay until you get to this point though, although you need to keep to the far right bank for the last straight. The channel on the right has the best water, one of the left the worst. (as you facing downstream)

Then further down here is a set of shoals where it splits in to two again, which can be tricky, deepest is the left and the far left of it is generally navigable. This also affects the water upstream, as it doesn't really start to flow well over these shoals until the tide is a 1/4 of the way in, so upstream of this, low tide slack water can be a few hours.

Feral is on the money anything above half tide is easily navigable.
    Jack.

Feral & Tunaticer Thanks for advice looks like half tide in/out.

If motoring down from the ramp at low tide unlock your motor there is some rock and a car or two that almost break the surface.
    Jack.

Yeah watch that car body it will eat your prop for sure. watch the bottom as it is more stone and gravel that mud and will shine the blades very quickly and not in a good way.

BigE