Thread: Charging Leccy battery off the outboard? Wise?

Charging Leccy battery off the outboard? Wise?

Hi Guys
    I have a 7 year old Mercury 60HP 4s
    The other day I left the leccy battery on to see if the Merc would give it a good charge whilel under way between spots
    Was amazing, 15 minutes back at the park and the battery was charged after having spent the whole day up Hinchinbrook Channel

My deep cycle easily turns the 60 hp merc over

Is this a wise choice ? or should I leave it all till I get home with the C-Tek 25A charger?
    The battery is an AGM, cost about $500, 105AH driving a 55 ft pounds Kota
    ..........Gary

Re: Charging Leccy battery off the outboard? Wise?

There's nothing wrong with charging the leccy battery from the motor, I would still put it on the charger when I got home at 10 amps charge rate. I'm not sure how you measured the battery capacity once home, your gauges on the boat might give you a good voltage reading but your deep cycle should have around 12.75 Volts when fully charged and I don't think your motor is going to do it for you.

Yep you won't fully charge an AGM or other non flooded cell.deep cycle unless you use a smart charger when you get home. My 130ah AGM typically sits at 13.2 volts after the CTEK 5amp charger has had it's way with it. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Tks for the heads-up, much appreciated
    .........Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    There's nothing wrong with charging the leccy battery from the motor, I would still put it on the charger when I got home at 10 amps charge rate. I'm not sure how you measured the battery capacity once home, your gauges on the boat might give you a good voltage reading but your deep cycle should have around 12.75 Volts when fully charged and I don't think your motor is going to do it for you.
    Tks Mate
    Pretty much what Ive been doing here at Lucinda,
    What was taking an hour or so now take 15 minutes which saves a lot of time

Just got back from Monduran. Using the 55lb Minn Kota all day hour after hour the lowest my 130ah AGM got was 12.5v and overnight restored it to 13.5v using my little 5amp Ctek. Didn't bother charging on the water. My m8 has a 10amp smart charger and sure its quicker but if you have 10 or so hours to charge the 5amp will always restore it from a full day of motoring. Cheers

Off to Lucinda next year in summer. How was the fishing in the cold? Cheers