Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pod dimensions - Kevlacat 2000

Re: Pod dimensions - Kevlacat 2000

OK, what happens is, when the boat runs through the water, it kind of digs a hole the shape of the hull (or hulls on a cat) it does not skim across the surface (kind of) so, if you build a longish pod that is high above the boat bottom, you can raise the motor higher, there is a rough idea of 1 foot back, 2" higher, because the hole the boat made starts to fill in behind it, rising above the hull bottom further back. A waterline pod is simple making the boat longer, which has some advantages too, but the motor is mounted like a "standard" transom, because that's what it is.

Ausfish New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OK, what happens is, when the boat runs through the water, it kind of digs a hole the shape of the hull (or hulls on a cat) it does not skim across the surface (kind of) so, if you build a longish pod that is high above the boat bottom, you can raise the motor higher, there is a rough idea of 1 foot back, 2" higher, because the hole the boat made starts to fill in behind it, rising above the hull bottom further back. A waterline pod is simple making the boat longer, which has some advantages too, but the motor is mounted like a "standard" transom, because that's what it is.
    We did step up the pod and added the 11 degree kick to the bottom plate. The laterals do follow the hull´s contour in order to maximize flotation. So its kind of a hybrid hull extension/square pod. I wonder how much of the lateral flowing water contributes to prop grip.

I have heard the 2" leg rise per 12" setback rule of thumb. However, since this is just a rule of thumb it has its defects. Particularly, there is no guideline as to how much rise the step shall have. Like you mention, this would not apply to a hull extension as the water that is exiting the transom will not rise any more than it did prior to the hull being extended.

The idea behind these pods was to maximize the flotation while at rest, the pods top plate rests flush with the water line. No purpose in adding structure where it will not contact the surface or displace water.

Do you have pods or a 1900?

look at the video, looks about right, Are you happy with the cruise rpm , fuel usage.
    probably i would say the pods are a good inch too low, but the motors are at a height where moderate trim will ventilate so cant raise any higher. leaning outside of a turn and trying to turn in general are minor flaws of a cat, when you turn do you increase outside throttle a bit more, might help. Expect steering to be harder of course when you dont have counter rotating props.

looks like the motors are trimmed nearly all the way in on test run, throwing good water from mid way of hull and clearing the engines, of course your out in a smooth bit of water but i can imagine you dont have much trim out before you start biting air. now as a experience cat man said to me once, cats do act like a slug in smooth water , however when the going gets rough, you gonna need that trim option real bad in quartering seas and what not. almost like the top lip on the pod is too high.

lower your engines on the pods a inch, and run full time with a little bit of trim out, you want all that air intake coming into the tunnel baby.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    lower your engines on the pods a inch, and run full time with a little bit of trim out, you want all that air intake coming into the tunnel baby.
    All set ups are different but I found the sweet spot for my rig is the motors just sitting on the trim cylinders and I work backwards eg. trim left down to get right front down etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    All set ups are different but I found the sweet spot for my rig is the motors just sitting on the trim cylinders and I work backwards eg. trim left down to get right front down etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah exactly , one thing to consider though, the kevla cats are lighter than their competition, in the same size bracket or have i got the bull by the arse. Are the kevlas made in the americas lighter than their aussie kevlas.

Ausfish New Member

I am dropping the engine from the lowest hole (highest engine position) to the middle one. That will drop the leg about 30mm.

Also, we had built some diverter plates to keep the spray down. We are removing them today as i am under the impression that they are causing ill trim behavior.

Here you can see the diverter plate/wing

Attachment 119021

Ausfish New Member

Went out for a sea trial and the boat handled way better. I still vent the props though.

Thinking of scrapping this set of pods and doing the square ones just like the KC 1900.

Can anybody share the dimensions?

Ausfish New Member

It has been done for a while now. Finally got around to post this ...

Attached Images Attached Images