Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leader for paternoster rig

Re: leader for paternoster rig

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzawookooka View Post
    I have always wondered if you could tie the standard dropper loop, making sure the loop was longer than usual, then cut one of the strands say 1/2 inch from the knot. This would effectively give you a leader twice the length of the loop so you could just tie the hook on with a normal knot.

What do you guys think, I suspect the dropper knot would not fail under pressure. Maybe it's worth trying and testing it out.

Just a though (that's been rolling around in my head for years !!!}

Cheers, Steve

Yep. I have been doing it when the loop won't fit through the hook eye. It has been suggested in this thread that you get more bites. Downside for me is that after a couple of reties of the hook, it gets too short and you need to re-rig from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    How do you tie the separate strands onto the main line?
    Similar to this but with 4 wraps not 3 and then a 5th wrap with just the main trace. Over all length of my rigs is about 2 - 2.5 metres for offshore bottom bashing

Yep. I have been doing it when the loop won't fit through the hook eye. It has been suggested in this thread that you get more bites. Downside for me is that after a couple of reties of the hook, it gets too short and you need to re-rig from scratch.
    I think the possibility of more bites is there, why use line that is advertised as being "invisible" then double the thickness? We all try to buy line as thin as possible, in remote places with little fishing pressure, you can use almost anything, but, in heavy fished locations you need everything going for you, and decent bait, properly presented on the thinnest practical line with the lightest sinker will outfish "dumb luck" consistently.

How do you tie the separate strands onto the main line?

triple surgeon knot works

45lbs Schneider with 4 wrap dropper loops , will cut your fingers off before it breaks , most droppers fail because of the hook eye cutting the line not the knot strength or line breaking strain.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    45lbs Schneider with 4 wrap dropper loops , will cut your fingers off before it breaks , most droppers fail because of the hook eye cutting the line not the knot strength or line breaking strain.

BigE
    I just picked up some 30lb and it is working well for me now. I will probably go back and forth between dropper loops and spider hitch/surgeon knots and settle on what works best. I think, for multiple droppers, the dropper loop will be best.