Thread: Longtom Fishing: How do i catch them and how do i bait them?

Longtom Fishing: How do i catch them and how do i bait them?

G'day all. It was just recently that i managed to actually land my first ever Longtom (video below). I was using a weighted down cut bait, pilly i think. It was the first and only fish i caught on the whole 4 day trip. I did use him for bait that night at a nearby rockwall and something ate him and then proceeded to swim about 200m out to sea and spool me. I guess this means they are good bait, but i don't know how to use them or what typically eats them. Any ideas? Also, how do i land more Longtom? Is there a certain rig i should be using, and what bait? Should i be using certain types of lures, and is anyone willing to give up some spots around Brisbane where i might be a chance? Would love the chance to get onto a few more of these guys. Thank everyone, and info helps.

Re: Longtom Fishing: How do i catch them and how do i bait them?

They love a Berkeley plastic floated over those weed beds.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead666 View Post
    G'day all. It was just recently that i managed to actually land my first ever Longtom (video below). I was using a weighted down cut bait, pilly i think. It was the first and only fish i caught on the whole 4 day trip. I did use him for bait that night at a nearby rockwall and something ate him and then proceeded to swim about 200m out to sea and spool me. I guess this means they are good bait, but i don't know how to use them or what typically eats them. Any ideas? Also, how do i land more Longtom? Is there a certain rig i should be using, and what bait? Should i be using certain types of lures, and is anyone willing to give up some spots around Brisbane where i might be a chance? Would love the chance to get onto a few more of these guys. Thank everyone, and info helps.

Manly marina rock wall usually has a few swimming around

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Try strips of squid, soft plastics, prawn, pilly and even lures. Don't forget you can also eat them too...full of small bones that are green...lol....good eating tho, and good bait !

I also find i catch a heap when im fishing for black bream.