Thread: What lures should I be using for Golden Perch?

Wink What lures should I be using for Golden Perch?

Heyy guys have recently been getting into fishing for yellowbelly. Have landed quite a few fish but all have been on baits (Prawn, worm and small live baits). Have tried lure fishing for them but have not had any luck. I have tried blades and minnow soft plastics and have got a few bass but no yellas. i mainly fish for them in creeks and small rivers with heaps of cover. What lures should i be using, how should i be using them and what kind of retrieve should i be looking for? Also how drastically will the cold affect the use of lures, as i assume they will be more sluggish should i retrieve slower? Any info helps, thanks everyone.

As an aside here is a few recent videos of some yellas i have caught. The cold have not seemed to slow them down at all as i took probably 15 fish in 4 nights.

Re: What lures should I be using for Golden Perch?

Gday mate,

Yellas are partial to some flash. If I use a plastic in a creek I always attach it to a jig spinner. It allows you to swim them slower which is important for yellas. The blade also throws out a good vibration which doesn't hurt. Bass will also be very interested in this setup.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

I use spinnerbaits with just a steady retrieve.

Used to catch a few while trolling for cod on hard bodied 85mm swagman jumbucks when i was a kid.

I the creeks and rivers I'd recommend spinnerbaits. No real action needed from you, just a slow steady wind should be right. personally I like dark colours like purple, black red ect.
    ~~~><))))*>