Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 shipping containers washed overboard of Pt Stephens. beware

72 shipping containers washed overboard of Pt Stephens. beware

hi guys heads up recent rough weather has contributed in containers falling off a mega ship of NSW mid coast (news source). unless the captain wanted to make a few new reefs...........any case take care if visiting the region with your boat. beautiful part of the world.

Re: 72 shipping containers washed overboard of Pt Stephens. beware

Many of these will be floating just at the surface could be dangerous i'd imagine guys are out there trying to tow them in and claim them lol

Fat chance of towing one in (I have tried) and claiming them isn't exactly as easy as you think.

I wonder if they go & collect them or just let them eventually sink?

They will hopefully just sink, I don't think they go and try to get them.

83 containers were lost there are hazards offshore on the central coast, i think there will be a big recovery mission as it's just going to pollute our pristine waters i remember watching that Police Rescue show that was on foxtel a year ago a guy had sunk his cruiser in Sydney Harbor they had to recover as much debris as possible

Half of them will be on the bottom now, the rest will just drift around until they sink too, or wash ashore, in this swell anything's possible.

Wonder what they were carrying anyone know what the ship transports?

Containers have everything and anything in them, from personal stuff to car parts and electrical stuff, there is no specific goods, they are just a method of storing items in set sized, weatherproof "boxes"

They can drift for days if the weight distribution is a little towards the door end, they end up with air pockets that keep them either partially submerged or even just below the surface.

Some do bob around for quite some time, but usually they just slowly fill up and down they go, some will get washed up I would think, we have a big swell here (that's why they fell off in the first place) and chances are, some will make it to shore.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Wonder what they were carrying anyone know what the ship transports?
    Just saw on the news, stuff washing up includes adult nappies, plastic car parts, toilet paper and some general "stuff" cargo included bikes, but I guess not many of them will float!

most things are plastic theses days, should be a lot of floatys........ when the weather calms and seas are flatter, imagine trolling out there, finding a floating container, over board you go with the boltcutters ,open the doors and what floats out.........10 thousand packets of fishing lures, hundreds of bubble wrapped covered fishing reels, rods shimano merchandise ... or as Noelm stated above ......ADULT nappies....... l laughed so much....so funny.

They also mentioned on the news that it is NOT finders keepers!

I just had a mental image of someone diving over the side of their boat, bolt cutters in hand, they open the container, water rushes in and the container is full of tampons...