Thread: Gps19x Garmin to Furuno GPS

Gps19x Garmin to Furuno GPS

Gday guys, just chasing some info for a mate. He is upgrading to the new Furuno GPS / Sounder combo unit GP1971F and wants to use a Garmin GPS19x antenna ? It uses the nmea2000 plug which I think the new unit will accept. Do we think this antenna will work on a different brand unit?

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Gps19x Garmin to Furuno GPS

If it is a passive antenna it might?

The specs do not mention any sort of external antenna so a passive won't have a connection point. A NMEA2000 should work provided the software allows it. I have run a TZT2 on a Lowrance antenna previously.

Hi Scottar, the Furuno has an inbuilt antenna but apparently that doesn’t work in an inbuilt aluminium dash setup. He was quoted $600 for the Furuno antenna but other brands appear to be a lot cheaper. I think he may even have the Garmin already installed but uncertain of this.
    I am not sure what the passive part you guys are talking about is?

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Ausfish Platinum Member

Some aerials are passive, ie, just powered from the device and simply recieve signal. I put an external aerial on my new build due to it being mounted in a dash and under a hardtop--When you plug in the external aerial, the nework still says Internal aerial, because it is just an extension of the internal aerial--just a hi-tech way of putting an old coathanger on the internal tv aerial, as it were.

There are essentially two types of GPS antennas. A passive antenna most typically uses a coaxial cable and plug - the most common being TNC and BNC connectors. They are a bit more than a "coathanger" (LOL) typically using a 5 volt input to run amplifiers and send the actual RF signal from the satellites to the receiver. "Smart" or active antennas are literally a complete functional GPS receiver without a display. They are usually fed with 12 volts and output position data in a digital format that is then read by whatever device is connected. They are available in typically NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 and there have also been a few over the years that used proprietary data streams that would only function with their own brand of display unit. Smart antennas usually have a multi pin connector and multicore cable. The NMEA types are standards for the data format. In theory, brands that output the same data format are interchangeable. In practise however, it can unfortunately not be the case with some manufacturers having subtly different interpretations of the standards that prevent units "talking" to each other. "Suck it and see" is the only definitive way to know whether a particular combination will work.

Furuno have in recent times gone away from passive antennas with even their small digital GPS now using a NMEA2000 format rather than a dedicated passive antenna. Usually if Furuno provide a passive antenna connection on a unit it will have one in the box. If you go to the FurunoUSA website they have their GP-330B as a recommended accessory - it is a NMEA2000 antenna so there is a good chance that if your mates Garmin antenna is a NMEA2000 one it will work.

Thanks so much guys for your responses, you both obviously know what your talking about and thanks for the detailed responses. I will pass this on and let you know the outcome.

Cheers
    Lee

As an aside, do you have to create a powered and terminated nmea backbone in this case or can you just plug the aerial straight in? I would have thought you needed the backbone which the op might not realise.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Yes it will be required but unless its been removed he would have had it with the garmin

Gday guys, just a conclusion on this. The Furuno unit is connected to a Garmin antenna and working well.
    Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
    Lee