Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just Dreaming....

Just Dreaming....

Hey Guys

Seeing as i am doing the rebuild in my other thread i am keen as with all this fibreglassing process, just wondering has anyone designed there own boat from absolute beginning i mean from the drawing up right thru the mold making and fibreglassing process by your self or with mates?

what would it involve? i take it you'd need marine architect for the drawing, who could make a cnc foam core on the size of say a 13 foot centre console with a really deep hull, good dead rise and a nice slick hull something that could take an absolute pounding but yet u stay dry, when i say take a pounding i mean a 13 foot boat in 1 meter of sloppy chop something u can just absolutely drill thru the chop yet still have a very stable boat

i would love a small 13 foot centre console that is 2.2-2.3 meters wide that would be unreal for solo fishing something u can handle on a 60-70kph down when the wind decides to pick up and u need to put it back on the trailer your self

i think 13 foot would be very easily manageable to hand lay the CSM and cloth but than again maybe the design is not realistic

what's your opinion?

Re: Just Dreaming....

You could just flop a mold off an old Haines centre console 445F I think the model was, probably fits the bill for what you are describing. I think making the entire thing from scratch would be very costly.

Ausfish Platinum Member

13' long and around 7' wide? Sounds more like a bloody pontoon. Forget about " smashing into a 1 metre chop" with those kind of dimensions. Do you really think you could design something that has never been able to be designed before? Proportions are everything on hull design--you so so many of these little 16' plate CC's that are 2 metres wide "for the deck space" then "we'll put a fine entry on it" . Yeah great, and the transition going aft is so abrupt due to excessive beam it just pounds like crap. Unfortunately, you just cannot have a small boat that acts like a big boat. Many have tried, all have failed. Every boat is a compromise--I just laugh when I hear someone describe their new rig as "no compromise" with their chest puffed out. 8 metres long? Great at sea, but you'll need to buy a yank tank to tow it, a permit, and a good ramp to launch at. And you'll never be able to fish by yourself.
    Just pick the compromises you are willing to make, and go from there.

Was just a suggestion ranmah i have no idea about marine architect i would love that amount of space on a small boat tho,

i looked on gumtree for the Haines Hunnet 445 Noel one came up geez they are pricey old boats, this popped up on gumtree little 14 footer something like this would be good, use the big boat for outside work and the little boat for inside and rivers

been watching videos of the mold layup's pretty easy without a chopper gun

The little haines is a great hull - that's why they command the price they do but as Ranmar so subtly advised , it's still a small boat with all the limitations that come with them. Personally my next single handed small rig will be the 4 metre polycraft - tough as nails and won't leave gelcoat on the ramp if there's a bit of a woopsie at launch or retrieve. They also ride pretty well due to the hull flexing a bit under impact but they are still a small boat. That console's a tidy little rig but it's pretty flat on the bottom.

This is probably not possible but is there a way of making a mould from a hull on stands? I'd be happy with my SilverLine 4.5m run about all i would need is the bottom hull skin copied i would than build a new gunnel and inners

As you continue dreaming have a read of this thread off THT
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...le-diesel.html

This guy is operating in a third world country much like our backyards, and you can see just what is possible.

He has done a few boats and at present he is working on one that he has stitched two halves of the mould that were flopped of another boat. His new boat will also be longer.

Once you start reading this stuff we probably wont hear from you for a week or two as you wont have time to post on AF.

Enjoy.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Have a look at bowdidge marine designs, Mark will draw something up for you i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    Have a look at bowdidge marine designs, Mark will draw something up for you i'm sure.

Didn't Gazza just cut one of these up ???

Lol yeah BMD not for me mate that boat went to the tip there is a lot to the story

Whats the go with patents on these old hulls do any of u know how i can check them out?

Do tell I'm building one

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What about the Jackaroo 445f? Isn’t that a knock off from the Haines 445f? Looks pretty well priced for a new boat.

Not exactly sure how patents go, lots of boats have been "flopped" maybe just change something a tiny bit, and it's no longer a copy? can you patent a hull? boats have been around for centuries, can you patent one?

Ausfish Platinum Member

If you look at Edencraft , Cootacraft and all those others that were based around the old Formula 233, it seems that if you can buy a mould, you've got rights. Patents somehow don't come into it. I know most of those mentioned have been stretched, widened and chopped around in different ways, but they all came from the same basic design. But even having a mould doesn't guarantee you a good outcome--didn't Edencraft destroy a mold they bought, just to get it out of circulation, because it had been flopped from a boat that had been damaged and badly repaired? How many hulls were flopped out of that mold before it was destroyed?
    Over here, Chivers made a few new boats based on an old mould of the 210 Pacemaker, a highly regarded older local design. Same bottom, new cap, called it the 650 Predator. No-one said boo, I think they just borrowed the mould from where it was laying unused.