Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Trailer Servicing

Boat Trailer Servicing

Hey guys,

I've just given a huge overhaul of my 13yo Redco trailer for my Quintrex Freedom Sport 530. Right down to replacing every rusted bolt, new spindles, rollers, skids, new wiring, grinding off and rust converting/prime and paint anything unsightly. Nothing structural thankfully. But most importantly is I've fully serviced the bearings, new slipper springs and put on new tyres etc, thats the stuff that really matters. However this is my first time doing such a job, and I'd like a set of eyes to just make sure I did it all right. Anyone have any suggestions of preferably a boat trailer servicing guy/company that comes to your home, or at least on the northside. I'm just nervous to take the trailer on the road if I've missed something or not done something right. I know it might sound trivial to the familiar, and I'll give anything a fair go, but don't want sh*t going sideways on the road with a trailer.

Cheers.

Re: Boat Trailer Servicing

Mate it sounds like you've given it a good go over.
    I'm sure someone up your way will refer you to somewhere or a mobile marine service option, but I'd sit back with a coldie and take your own time and think about everything you've done.
    If it's not too late check the wiring on the lights.
    Take it for a spin around the block, then jack it up and check the bearing play.
    Check you have done the inner bearing seals to your satisfaction and installed your bearing buddies or dust caps so they don't fall off.
    Did you have you're boat off the trailer for the work you did ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet`n`Release View Post
    Hey guys,

I've just given a huge overhaul of my 13yo Redco trailer for my Quintrex Freedom Sport 530. Right down to replacing every rusted bolt, new spindles, rollers, skids, new wiring, grinding off and rust converting/prime and paint anything unsightly. Nothing structural thankfully. But most importantly is I've fully serviced the bearings, new slipper springs and put on new tyres etc, thats the stuff that really matters. However this is my first time doing such a job, and I'd like a set of eyes to just make sure I did it all right. Anyone have any suggestions of preferably a boat trailer servicing guy/company that comes to your home, or at least on the northside. I'm just nervous to take the trailer on the road if I've missed something or not done something right. I know it might sound trivial to the familiar, and I'll give anything a fair go, but don't want sh*t going sideways on the road with a trailer.

Cheers.
    What is your time frame?

Yes I had the boat off the trailer (and still is). Hence I'm reluctant to put it back on until I'm sure everything is AOK I'm probably worrying about nothing, but just feel better that someone with experience checks my work. I haven't install my bearing buddies (yet) until I'm happy that the hubs are confirmed good to go, seemed a messy and unnecessary step for now (and she won't be touching water until all the boxes are ticked). Right now there's no play in the wheels if I push and pull on the top of each wheel, but definitely need to do a few laps around the block and then check again.

And Wags, I'm not in a hurry as such. The reason I'm doing the refurb is I'm "hoping" to do a NT trip in October, and towing my boat 3000kms (each way) I take pretty seriously. Hence leaving no stone unturned as far as servicing goes. I do want to take the boat in for a service, and some trimming before that trip, but it's by no means a rush to get it seen next week sort of thing. I really should do some before and after photos of the trailer as she looks as good as new. She wasn't in a dreadful state, just mildly neglected. I've definitely seen much worse And going forward I'll be more proactive on the preventative maintenance since I've learned a lot this time around.

Do the wheels spin freely, no sounds etc. Definitely take it for a spin even without the boat on, if its not right a 20km trip up or down the highway will make the hubs slightly warm, may not have packed the bearing or did the nut too tight on the axle. Most of the other work sounds like straight out replacement so shouldn't be an issue. On your trip up north do take several sets of bearings and a tub of grease, I recall one trip after the Daly River we were about 10km north of Winton on the way back and mates trailer overheated on one axle. He was told to bring spares, his excuse, just replaced so he didn't see the need. We had a spare from another trailer and got into Winton just before closing and bought the last set the garage had. A spare hub is also worth looking into as you can have new cones, bearings and grease ready to go. Things you need to take on trips like these have been covered in other posts, just need to search or start a new thread.

Sounds like you have done the right things ….. like has been mentioned - go for a 20km drive & feel the temp of the rims & around the bearing ...… cool is good , warm is ok - hot is not good .
    jack it up & check the play …… should spin freely with very little lateral movement (with the wheel on) .

all bolts should have been done with lock nuts & loc tite for such a trip ……….. However , all that & more …… you can still do bearings , rattle off brake callipers etc etc on a big trip - so carry at least a spare set of U bolts (x2) / washers / nuts / spring plates / bearings ….. & even a set of wheel studs ( better still a complete spare disc / hub ) with all the tools to replace them . Things do fail , regardless of the preparation

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Do the wheels spin freely, no sounds etc. Definitely take it for a spin even without the boat on, if its not right a 20km trip up or down the highway will make the hubs slightly warm, may not have packed the bearing or did the nut too tight on the axle. Most of the other work sounds like straight out replacement so shouldn't be an issue. On your trip up north do take several sets of bearings and a tub of grease, I recall one trip after the Daly River we were about 10km north of Winton on the way back and mates trailer overheated on one axle. He was told to bring spares, his excuse, just replaced so he didn't see the need. We had a spare from another trailer and got into Winton just before closing and bought the last set the garage had. A spare hub is also worth looking into as you can have new cones, bearings and grease ready to go. Things you need to take on trips like these have been covered in other posts, just need to search or start a new thread.
    i rebuilt the trailer under the cruisecraft explorer and the wheels spun fine
    when i took i tfor a drive round the block it pinged like a bastard

timken bearing was buggered out of the box, but didnt know till had the weight of the boat on it

Thanks for all the input guys. I was one step ahead on making sure I have spares (sometimes I have spares for spares ) I have done the run a few times but with my caravan, and the Tablelands Highway between Barkly and Cape Crawford (for anyone that knows it) will truely test any rig on the road. I've had flat tyres, shattered a leaf spring, and even had a spring centre pin sheared on that road. So I'm going out of my way to try and preempt any reasonable fault ahead of time. Carrying a few bits and pieces when you're 300kms from a town and no hope of mobile signal, and you never see another vehicle for hours on end, you really can't just wing it out there.

Cheers.

If you are happy to tow it a bit - take it to Trailer Repairs, 400 Steve Irwin Way. Smithy put me on to him a few years back and I find him very good.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Sounds like you have done the right things ….. like has been mentioned - go for a 20km drive & feel the temp of the rims & around the bearing ...… cool is good , warm is ok - hot is not good .

Chris
    Warm means it will only get warmer, I checked mine and adjusted one recently as it got slightly warm on a 20km test trip. Did 5 hrs to 1770 the other week and all 4 hubs were stone cold. I also moved the cradle back as the towbar weight was a bit light and I noticed just a bit more flattening of the tyres on the rear set. Weight distribution in the boat also needs to be considered especially on long trips where you want to load up those empty spaces.

Retighten the U-bolts after your first run then again after three more runs.
    You can not overtighten U-bolts.
    All spring breaks in the middle of the spring are caused by loose U-bolts.
    Better for bearings to be snug and not preloaded. Preload will overheat the bearings.
    Jack.

So long as your axle is on top of the spring and not below and all u bolts are done up tight and evenly everything should be fine

Just remember the split pins on both sides and torque your wheel nuts to spec

Just a thought if you want a professional to look at if you could always book a road worthy through a mobile mechanic for your trailer possibly? Don’t think they charge to much under $100.00 that’s if you would prefer another set of eyes to run over it for you to settle the nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Warm means it will only get warmer, I checked mine and adjusted one recently as it got slightly warm on a 20km test trip. Did 5 hrs to 1770 the other week and all 4 hubs were stone cold. I also moved the cradle back as the towbar weight was a bit light and I noticed just a bit more flattening of the tyres on the rear set. Weight distribution in the boat also needs to be considered especially on long trips where you want to load up those empty spaces.
    Not necessarily ….. had plenty of times where a new bearing has ran warm ( never got any hotter) - just sometimes the sweet spot doesn't quite line up on the castle nut - if you were to loosen it , you end up with a bit of play …….. I'd rather not have the play when doing trips on roads ( inland Hwys of Qld) that really shouldn't be called Hwys

The other thing is & it hasn't been mentioned …… it's good practice to jack the trailer up - test for play & adjust bearings if necessary

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just run a tape measure from your hitch to the same point on each axle and make sure your alignment is good so you don't get excessive tyre wear. Trailers do tend to wear on the inside of the tyre from the rutting on country roads or the crossfall on country roads in my experience. So long as the wear is even it should be right.