Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat Trailer Servicing

Re: Boat Trailer Servicing

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Not necessarily ….. had plenty of times where a new bearing has ran warm ( never got any hotter) - just sometimes the sweet spot doesn't quite line up on the castle nut - if you were to loosen it , you end up with a bit of play …….. I'd rather not have the play when doing trips on roads ( inland Hwys of Qld) that really shouldn't be called Hwys

The other thing is & it hasn't been mentioned …… it's good practice to jack the trailer up - test for play & adjust bearings if necessary

Chris
    Agree to a point, sometimes it's a case of not palming the grease into the bearings properly first. Happened to me once, thing is it stayed warm from Sunnybank to Yatala, pulled in to let it cool down while we had dinner, from there to the Tweed it ran cool. Never got warm again yet when I changed my bearings a year later it was this set that had slight wear/burn marks. 20km is a very short run, should be stone cold.

One of the best things I did to mine was get rid of the old galvanised (ho ho) roller axles. I bought some stainless steel rod of the right diameter, ground a little flat at each end for the split pin hole.
    it cut and drilled OK without any hassle.
    Still need a bit of grease on them and where they run in the chassis. Don't have to go to the gym before pushing the boat off now.

You can buy a fine grease needle with a grease nipple on the end & it will slip in between the Bering rollers on the Bering & just pump in the grease until it comes out each side then move it around the Bering & pump in some more
    Col

Tom Vinson - Mobile marine mechanic - 0433150470

Great guy who really knows his stuff, is very reasonable...you won't be disappointed.

I really dislike changing wheel bearings even tho I'm a non qualified mechanic its a really crappy job and messy somehow the grease ends up everywhere and on everything anyhow I have noticed with the cheap $15 wheel bearings when u see the black burning on the bearing u have to check it out closely as if the steel is rusting from water penetration than the rust is rubbed off and lubed with grease it will give the same blackness colour to the bearing as if it over heated

I am just a cheap guy $15 bearings do me but that's just a personal preference, I think there are stainless wheel bearings out there and I am pretty sure I have changed them in the past the bearing needles change colour to purple and blue when they lack grease and over heat, I often don't even look at the bearings I love that job that much haha its a wish I had kids moment one for them to learn how to change the bearings

Yeah it's been a learning experience changing the bearings for the first time. I'm way more electronics literate, and not so much mechanical. But I'll try my hand at anything. My brother also gave me some help. But yeah the grease is magnetically attracted to every surface hehe. I bought the $20 bearing kits from Whitworths, not sure if that's considered cheap or not, but they were like-for-like replacement when we changed them over. And the old set didn't look bad, but it just felt right to change them for their vintage. And I'm keeping them as spares, in the terrible event I'm in the middle of nowhere and have to do a replacement. But it's better to be prepared than ignore the chance of shit going sideways.

Cheers.

The best thing for bearing is thin rubber gloves, once the wheel is off and all the easy stuff is done, put on the gloves, do the dirty grease stuff, take them off and refit the wheel, all done with minimal greasy hands.

Fillet i never had my old man around to teach me any thing in life so everything i have learnt is all from just ripping in and giving it a go i have been curious from day one on how things work tho i rebuilt the top end on a vintage Yamaha motorcycle when i was 13 years old i put the piston back in 180 degrees out it was a learning curve no books or internet back than couldn't afford it

pretty sure i have just ran grease around the outside of wheel bearings before i knew how to pack them properly its kind of hard when someone says "you need to pack the bearing with grease" but if u actually see it getting done u automatically catch on so back in the day there were no youtube or forums on the internet to help we however have come leeps and bounds in todays technology

thats a good idea Noel grease ends up all over my tools, tissues, rags, grass sticking to the grease, grease all over my clothes, changing wheel bearings is messy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The best thing for bearing is thin rubber gloves, once the wheel is off and all the easy stuff is done, put on the gloves, do the dirty grease stuff, take them off and refit the wheel, all done with minimal greasy hands.
    Definitely agree with this comment, it makes life so much easier.
    The proper workshop gloves are more robust/best, tight fitting because when packing the grease into the bearings you don't want the gloves sliding around on your hands. Always have a set for the car toolkit in case of roadside repairs.
    Always best to do your own bearing related work regardless of how messy it gets, especially if doing any remote area travelling, you have to know how to get yourself out of trouble.

Yeah getting grease on your hands ain't for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Yeah getting grease on your hands ain't for sissies.
    Fed u should see my vanity while i'm trying to wash the grease off its worse than getting it over the tools and grass plus sitting on it lol

I used to prefer changing wheel bearings without taking the wheel off the hub.

Lay the wheel on it's side and knock one race straight onto the grass, flip the wheel and stick a house brick under one side of the wheel & knock the other race straight out.

You bring back fond memories of working in adverse conditions gazza.

LMAO at the gloves.