Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Radars, which ones are best/features etc.

Lets Talk Radars, which ones are best/features etc.

Hey Guys

Seams as though Radars aren't really a big topic to my dealers around Brisbane that i talk to a bit, most don't seam to have much personal information in regards to features usability etc.

So we are looking at a radar setup, We have to get a new chart plotter that will be able to overlay the radar. as we will be pulling out the current GPS to replace it we haven't got to much dash space.

So after having a quickish sort of look we have come to the conclusion that we will be up for around the $6,000.00 mark we would prefer to go for a longer range radar then a shorter range radar if we are going to do it we would prefer to spend the extra money knowing it would perform well so if its more the $6,000.00 so be it.

So in saying that just seeing if people on here have a lot of experience with radar and would be able to share their experience/knowledge so as we don't make an expensive mistake. Obviously we aren't in a rush to purchase a unit that wont fit the purpose.

Cheers Dan
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Re: Lets Talk Radars, which ones are best/features etc.

first, what electronics are you looking to integrate the radar into?

why the long range radar?

Regards
    HOnda.

I was planning on getting a Raymarine axiom and Quantum chirp radar now I see they have a Quantum chirp2 with Doppler collision avoidance which looks the go I wonder how it would work with there autopilot system

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

I don't think long range is all that great for a trailer boat (how long is longrange?) better detail closer in might be more desirable?

Features will be more a function of your selected MFD than the radar itself. In reality it comes down to what you want it to do. If it is collision avoidance - they will all work. If it is going to be your primary GPS as well I would be more concerned with the operation of that than the radar as such.

Things to take into consideration - scanner weight if you are mounting to a stainless targa frame. If it's a hard top not so critical. If the mounting isn't solid enough you will shake both it and the scanner to bits.

Your chosen manufacturers repair policy - radars contain wearing parts so if your manufacturer doesn't carry any and your unit needs a scanner motor, mic front end or magnetron just out of warranty (or worse still after end of production) having to replace an entire scanner and possibly a display if not backwards compatible can be annoying.

Specific features if you have a wish list - there will be differences with some of the units with the latest and greatest. Don't assume every unit has the same stuff. Also be mindful that some features may not work unless additional equipment is interfaced - primarily a heading sensor. If you have an autopilot it may be able to be utilised for this.

Range - it is limited by your height and the height of your target and power output. If your primary reason for fitment is collision avoidance while travelling long range is not really a requirement. If it is to keep an eye out for ships when out wide, they will show further away due to their height but a maximum range of 24Nm is enough on a trailer boat IMO. I would be looking at a 4 Kw scanner if it's a traditional type radar. Don't fall into the trap of thinking because the maximum range on the glossy says 32 or 48 Nm that you will see that far. Some of the Navico 3G stuff advertised 24 Nm but wouldn't see a high rise building past 6 Nm when it was released ( it may be better now - been out of the electronics game a while now).

Depending on what your specific use is, don't get too caught up in overlay. I makes it very easy to miss small targets on a cluttered chart background. When I have used rigs with radar I end up running split screen. Radar also has limitations. If collision avoidance is your primary concern, forgoing range for better short range definition / performance as Noel mentioned may well be desirable. Small fibreglass boats, jet skis, paddle craft etc don't return a lot of signal. I was questioned years ago by police investigating a fatality involving a boat I fitted a radar to and an unlit jet ski at high speed years ago - not a chance the operator would have seen a target prior to collision and even if he had, given the velocity of the ski at the time, would have dismissed the echo as noise.

Are you installing on a trailer boat ? if so you will not get to much benefit with a long range. I have a lowrance broadband 3G radar set up and it works for what I do. Can lay it over the chart which is good and has the collision detection which is also handy at night anchored. One thing I found very good was picking up breakers when crossing bars. Make sure you spend the money on a good rate compass or at low speed and anchor will not be actuate. For me it's another tool for navigating at night which is something I do a lot. The system I have will not pick up birds working the surface as some do but I didn't install it for that.

I've been on a few boats that have radar, it's like having a swimming pool, not used anywhere near as much as anticipated.

On the other hand I believe they're good for pinging a boat and marking the spots they're fishing, no wonder there's always someone fishing my secret spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I've been on a few boats that have radar, it's like having a swimming pool, not used anywhere near as much as anticipated.

On the other hand I believe they're good for pinging a boat and marking the spots they're fishing, no wonder there's always someone fishing my secret spots.
    LOL. No secret spots now Sam. Night time navigation mate - Just recently I have started with the 4am kick offs to beat the ramp rage at my local. Running Moreton bay in the dark and relying on everyone else to have their lights on is a bit like Russian roulette - not to mention bloody cold with the clears down so I can sort of see through watering eyes. It was certainly more relaxed in the company rig with radar - even though with the full hardtop it was near on impossible to see out the screen at night.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    LOL. No secret spots now Sam. Night time navigation mate - Just recently I have started with the 4am kick offs to beat the ramp rage at my local. Running Moreton bay in the dark and relying on everyone else to have their lights on is a bit like Russian roulette - not to mention bloody cold with the clears down so I can sort of see through watering eyes. It was certainly more relaxed in the company rig with radar - even though with the full hardtop it was near on impossible to see out the screen at night.
    Probably about the only reason I'd like one, the number of boats around these days that don't run even a glimmer of light is amazing. Even coming into Mooloolaba on a dark night the number of boats that flash a torchlight at you at the at moment is amazing, fortunately my usual decking has great night sight and I'm sure he deliberately steers me close towards them just to put the crap up them.

PS, the Pumistone Passage is worse but $6k is a bit expensive for a small tinnie.

Sam in the passage at night is where I have found the radar has been worth it. I set it up to scan 1 NM and it shows pretty well every thing and as Scott has said I spit the screen when I want to really have a clean look at what is around me at night. The boat has a hard top and can be hard sometimes seeing everything at night. I did find that learning how the settings all worked you can fine tune it for some pretty good results. Once again it's another tool for navigation at night or poor visibility.

Also good for stealing Sam's spot X'es

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Features will be more a function of your selected MFD than the radar itself. In reality it comes down to what you want it to do. If it is collision avoidance - they will all work. If it is going to be your primary GPS as well I would be more concerned with the operation of that than the radar as such.

Things to take into consideration - scanner weight if you are mounting to a stainless targa frame. If it's a hard top not so critical. If the mounting isn't solid enough you will shake both it and the scanner to bits.

Your chosen manufacturers repair policy - radars contain wearing parts so if your manufacturer doesn't carry any and your unit needs a scanner motor, mic front end or magnetron just out of warranty (or worse still after end of production) having to replace an entire scanner and possibly a display if not backwards compatible can be annoying.

Specific features if you have a wish list - there will be differences with some of the units with the latest and greatest. Don't assume every unit has the same stuff. Also be mindful that some features may not work unless additional equipment is interfaced - primarily a heading sensor. If you have an autopilot it may be able to be utilised for this.

Range - it is limited by your height and the height of your target and power output. If your primary reason for fitment is collision avoidance while travelling long range is not really a requirement. If it is to keep an eye out for ships when out wide, they will show further away due to their height but a maximum range of 24Nm is enough on a trailer boat IMO. I would be looking at a 4 Kw scanner if it's a traditional type radar. Don't fall into the trap of thinking because the maximum range on the glossy says 32 or 48 Nm that you will see that far. Some of the Navico 3G stuff advertised 24 Nm but wouldn't see a high rise building past 6 Nm when it was released ( it may be better now - been out of the electronics game a while now).

Depending on what your specific use is, don't get too caught up in overlay. I makes it very easy to miss small targets on a cluttered chart background. When I have used rigs with radar I end up running split screen. Radar also has limitations. If collision avoidance is your primary concern, forgoing range for better short range definition / performance as Noel mentioned may well be desirable. Small fibreglass boats, jet skis, paddle craft etc don't return a lot of signal. I was questioned years ago by police investigating a fatality involving a boat I fitted a radar to and an unlit jet ski at high speed years ago - not a chance the operator would have seen a target prior to collision and even if he had, given the velocity of the ski at the time, would have dismissed the echo as noise.
    Hi Scottar

Thank you for the response, as said radar is very new to us and want to do it right the first time so if we have to pay more for a better unit we would if we could save money we also would. Part of what dignity said is part of the reason as to why i was wanting something with a little more range and diversity. Part of it is also for night time driving.

It is going on a 2100 Kevlacat with a hard top so mounting it should be fine.

We were looking at the 4g etc but then noticed the halo had a lot better range and sensitivity?

Do you have any recommendations into a good radar setup like you said I don't want to buy something like the navico to find out it isn't worth the money.
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Radars are usefull in the right situation. night time collision avoidance they are brilliant. long range weather and bird spotting if on the right boat as others have mentioned. any of y our closed dome radars will be rather short ranged. still plenty of range for avoiding objects and other boats however

If you are looking at raymarine they have a few rather nice systems to consider . Quantum 2 Doppler is a nice little tricked out version of the quantum which itself is a brilliant solid state short range radar. however if you wanted range then consider their Magnum magantron open array radars but your budget will go very quickly with open array radars.

If night time navigation is something you would like to use your radar for primarly... i would also advocate for considering a FLIR thermal camera instead. partially because the learning curve to master them is fairly non existant, very easy to itnerprit something that is ... essentially vision.. and with the the Raymarine link having vessel analytics/ clear cruise identifying targets automatically for you it does become quite the safety tool.

There obviously is a price difference however if you use one a hell of a lot more than the other the price difference becomes worth it.

That being said.. hard to beat a radar . its fun

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

I had a Raymarine on my last boat and now have a Lowrance 4G.

The improvement in the Radar is quite significant compared to how they used to be. Night navigational aid was our primary reason but I can tell you there have been many times where the radar has a shown a boat that we couldn't see due to their inability to have an all round white light when going out of harbour early morning, or when coming back into the sun at evening.

The new radars will pick up birds if you are on calm water but most impressive to me is that they can detect kayakers. No way my old radar would do that, in fact small fibreglass boats were a challenge for it at times if there wasn't much metal in the boat apart from a small outboard.

I am not sure if I would buy Lowrance again next time but they would certainly be in my review.

And yes I would buy another radar again without question, in this boat I even have a second head unit for the passenger to keep eye on radar while I keep eye out through windscreen while driving in challenging conditions..

Gday Skusto, I am one of those people that Dignity referred to as having one and not using it. I have a GMR18 HD Garmin unit and I am far from impressed. Now it may be the settings and the way I use it but unless it is a big boat/ship, I am not really seeing much. If it is rough, I get lots of clutter even with the gain adjusted. I mainly bought it for night time travelling both offshore and inside the pumistone passage. I also liked the thought of the century setup when sleeping offshore but the alarm from rough seas kept setting the alarm so I don’t even use that any more.
    I have spent lots of time trying to get it better but I have now all but given up. I haven’t even transmitted from it for the last 12 months or more.
    I hope you have more success with yours.
    Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

heres a groovy little video showcasing the doppler feature on the new quantum 2 radars

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au