Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helm-dash Switch Panel upgrade

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Helm-dash Switch Panel upgrade

All the Blue Seas stuff seems good.

of the off the shelf stuff. blue seas is right up there.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Im a big fan of custom antivandal panels

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Helm-dash Switch Panel upgrade

This topic came up at the right time! I’m going to get the dremel out and have a crack at building my own switch panel, ordered some of that 3mm carbon fiber sheet off flea bay and 12 backlit Carling switches from newire with holders, even with exchange rate still worked out cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    This topic came up at the right time! I’m going to get the dremel out and have a crack at building my own switch panel, ordered some of that 3mm carbon fiber sheet off flea bay and 12 backlit Carling switches from newire with holders, even with exchange rate still worked out cheaper

How is that boat going, you just about finished doing g your old man's boat up.

Dirtyfuzz, "Low Beer Alarm" !!!!!!
    I gotta get me one of them, good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    How is that boat going, you just about finished doing g your old man's boat up.
    Don’t think it will ever be finished! I tidied up the wiring mess,and added some deck and under gunnel lighting, has been fully reupholstered and glassed in a workstation To house a livewell,deck wash and some tackle storage. Having issues with varnish dirtying up fuel in port tank and still hasn’t come clean after a lot of flushes, so I might have to bite the bullet soon and have it cut out and replaced or cleaned. Bloody big job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Don’t think it will ever be finished! I tidied up the wiring mess,and added some deck and under gunnel lighting, has been fully reupholstered and glassed in a workstation To house a livewell,deck wash and some tackle storage. Having issues with varnish dirtying up fuel in port tank and still hasn’t come clean after a lot of flushes, so I might have to bite the bullet soon and have it cut out and replaced or cleaned. Bloody big job!

There's plenty if ways to get rid of it, flushing the tank works but only if you continuously cycle the fuel, an electric pump recycling it for about 12 hours usually will do it reasonably well depending on the size of the tank. The traditional method for small metal tanks was to boil it off. Acetone is supposed to work but getting it onto all places in a big tank is expensive. One method that seems to work is use some oxy cleaning detergent like Nappisan, 1 cup to for litres in very hot water and fill to the top, let it sit for 12 hours then flush. Certainly a lot easier if you can remove your tank.

Helm-dash Switch Panel upgrade

There's plenty if ways to get rid of it, flushing the tank works but only if you continuously cycle the fuel, an electric pump recycling it for about 12 hours usually will do it reasonably well depending on the size of the tank. The traditional method for small metal tanks was to boil it off. Acetone is supposed to work but getting it onto all places in a big tank is expensive. One method that seems to work is use some oxy cleaning detergent like Nappisan, 1 cup to for litres in very hot water and fill to the top, let it sit for 12 hours then flush. Certainly a lot easier if you can remove your tank.
    Thanks for the tip! I’ve currently just been using a 20L fuel/lacquer thinners mix and just leave it in for a week and recycle, has got to a point where it doesn’t seem to be getting any better so I’ve just been running off portable tanks!

20 litres won't do it as the lacquer would be on the sides and even top of the tank. Can you remove the tank.

Having issues with varnish dirtying up fuel in port tank
    What are the symptoms of the dirty fuel fuzz?
    Is it discolouration or physical lumps of stuff? Any filters and or water separators involved?
    Why I ask is discolouration would normally point to rust which means water.

20 litres won't do it as the lacquer would be on the sides and even top of the tank. Can you remove the tank.
    it’s Glassed in under a sealed deck!

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    What are the symptoms of the dirty fuel fuzz?
    Is it discolouration or physical lumps of stuff? Any filters and or water separators involved?
    Why I ask is discolouration would normally point to rust which means water.
    Fuel is cloudy and passes through water separator leaving an orange substance in clear bowl, my only guess is tank wasn’t fully drained, it dried out and has now left all the gunk behind, rust is possible but they are stainless tanks!

Stainless will still rust. Be worth a look with a camera I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Stainless will still rust. Be worth a look with a camera I suspect.
    We put a camera down for a look and couldn’t really see a lot and didn’t want to get camera stuck in a baffle either so didn’t push it too far, there was a big shiny clean section below filler most likely from dropping the measuring stick down and loosening it up.