Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prado engine turning over while I was inside

Prado engine turning over while I was inside

Hope someone can help me.
    I was inside preparing tea and could hear a cranking noise. I went to the garage and be buggered my engine was cranking over continually. No one was in the car and the key was nearby.
    I jump in the car and started it but in the back ground I could still hear the starter motor turning over even after the car was started.
    I had to disconnect the battery before the cranking would stop.
    I waited a while about 30 minutes and reconnected the battery terminals and away it went again the engine just started cranking over.
    The only thing that I have done with the car was I washed it about 8 hours earlier. I never washed the engine compartment.
    Can anyone help solve this or has it happened to anyone here.
    Thanks Wayne.

Re: Prado engine turning over while I was inside

I would be calling a priest!

You didn’t see a girl in the back seat with her head spinning around??

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Jay View Post
    I would be calling a priest!

You didn’t see a girl in the back seat with her head spinning around??
    Definitely a poltergeist at play there mate.

Do you have a brake controller fitted (for towing). Mine did funny lectric things turning lights on, and resetting the brake controller fixed it.

Hi Gunna
    Yes brake controller dual batteries and a winch.
    I placed a leads back on this morning fired her up and all is good. The stranges bloody think..
    Thanks for your reply.

never heard that one before, initial guess would be water bridging the solenoid on the starter thingy( very wild guess and im not a mechanic) just a thinker.

Can you start it remotely with the key might just have had some sort of interference some how
    My favourite prank lately with the Colorado when I walk out of a shop and see someone standing next to it is to start it up wirelessly

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Prado’s kerp cranking until engine starts even when you let go the key so possibly something to do with that system?

Lots of newer cars have this remote start feature, I really don't see any advantage in being able to do it, unless maybe you were being chased by crooks and needed a quick getaway! I have nothing against technology as such, but this just seems to me to be an answer looking for a question! push button start almost fits into the same thing, neat? maybe even handy? but necessary, nah...the old FJ Holden had push button start, but you had to have the key in the ignition, or a two bob (20c) piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Lots of newer cars have this remote start feature, I really don't see any advantage in being able to do it, unless maybe you were being chased by crooks and needed a quick getaway! I have nothing against technology as such, but this just seems to me to be an answer looking for a question! push button start almost fits into the same thing, neat? maybe even handy? but necessary, nah...the old FJ Holden had push button start, but you had to have the key in the ignition, or a two bob (20c) piece.
    Except when you live in a frozen climate! I used to have to go and start the car 15 mins before driving it to de-ice the windscreen and make it a habitable place to be....used to think "wish someone would invent remote starting"

Not too many aussies would have to worry about ice on the car! but I guess it's at least one instance where it is at least usefull. My daughter has a new Trailblazer, and it has that many "features" it makes you dizzy trying to remember them all, even winding a window down a tad so you can close the door without getting that air lock kind of thing, then winds it up when the door closes, kind of nifty, but let's face it, who cares?

No to mention all these cars turning off when you stop at the lights, that would piss me off!

Yeah, that does take some getting used to, my mate has a VW that does that, you can't even hear the starter engage, it's instantaneous, doesn't matter how quick you are to get your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator, it's already started.

If it's a VW you can turn the auto stop off with a smartphone obd2 dongle.
    Did it in my Audi. Much better.
    I do miss the remote start the Jeep had though on those hot days where you can get the aircon going before you get in.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Really dont know why you would want to turn the auto stop function off?

I have it on my CX5 Akera diesel, and had it on the leased one before this for 3 years. So have lived with it for about 5 years now.

It really works quite seamlessly. And you can manage it with how hard you press the brake pedal or move the steering wheel.

You just have to get your head around the change to a new way of doing things.

It cannot be turned off permanently on the Mazda in any case. Its part of the total engine operating system as tested for emissions, that is my understanding why it cannot be turned off permanently.

I am somewhat surprised to hear it can be turned off on the Audi - errr hang on, Audi is part of VW, I take that back, I am not surprised by them doing anything!! Maybe just another little software trick of theirs ......
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....