Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coral Reef Fin Fish bag limit.

Re: Coral Reef Fin Fish bag limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Latent Effort for Recreational's is a complete red herring. Who cares what 99% of the 700,000 oat owners "could" catch if they chose to. The only fact that is relevant is what they do catch. I'm not arguing here nor there on what their numbers actually are and neither should anyone else because no one knows including fisheries.

As for YFT. For recreational the are pretty much a non-event. Very few target them and they are mostly by-catch for other species. You would be lucky most days to see more than one per boat actually kept even if they are on.
    Right now we have a good run of Southern Bluefin Tuna off the NSW south coast …… & I can tell you the are being targeted by the rec angler big time . Boats are coming from Vic & SA to have a crack at these fish .
    What concerns me is that there is a limit of 1 / angler but no boat limit ….. There are boats coming in with 4 & 5 fish at a 60kg average …… That's a hell of a lot of fish to consume .
    My biggest concern & what many don't realise is that 1 fish is not just the bag limit but it is also the possession limit as well ……. now I know personally of crews who have gone out week in week out for the last 5 weeks targeting them from Eden Bermagui , Narooma , Batemans Bay , Ulladulla & now Jervis bay …….. So where is the possession limit ? It's not just catch & release either.

I'm sure this happens with all fisheries …. incl CRFF
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think we should all fish responsibly and look after our fish stocks for future generations.. I’m doing my best to selectively target new species in new areas every trip. I don’t go back to the same areas hitting the same spot ect. I did get 500kg of fish last week with 4 other mates and they were caught in about 2-3hrs. I believe bag limits should be reduced and a total limit imposed including all species. Green zones should almost be doubled and part time professional fisherman reduced.
    The bag limits are just too high!!!!!
    And the fish sizes are way to small...

Bit rich to acknowledge taking half a tonne of fish recreationally Keith then calling for a reduction on blokes just chipping away trying to make a living....

Shane if you read what I said is a reduction in everything is what’s needed including recs and pros. I only follow the bag limits and 30 fish last week for 500k’s could of easily been over a hundred fish for over a tonne. 5 guys = 100 fish plus another 20 snaps and another 25 pearlies bla bla bla... it’s over the top but I’ll continue to follow bag limits but won’t be the slightest bit worried if they are reduced to sensible limits for everyone including pros....

Holy crap, someone else with the same opinion... Hold the phone.

Its all about preserving for the future generations, try formulate and argument against that or do we just say to hell with it and let the world burn?

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    I think we should all fish responsibly and look after our fish stocks for future generations.. I’m doing my best to selectively target new species in new areas every trip. I don’t go back to the same areas hitting the same spot ect. I did get 500kg of fish last week with 4 other mates and they were caught in about 2-3hrs. I believe bag limits should be reduced and a total limit imposed including all species. Green zones should almost be doubled and part time professional fisherman reduced.
    The bag limits are just too high!!!!!
    And the fish sizes are way to small...

You can be as selective as you like, practice catch and release, only take what you need and everything else, the simple fact remains, we NEED laws, and strict laws for the millions of people who don't give a rats arse about sizes and limits, and I reckon there is a lot more fill the esky people than conservationalists. I don't profess to be a greenie, or a catch and release only type, but, I do take what I need, and maybe an extra or two (within bag limits) for maybe a neighbour or a mate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    every time this subject come up I always ask the same question , bag limits and slot limits are supposed to be about making the rec take sustainable.

the problem i have with this bullshit is that none of our learned scientist and pollies will ever give a sustainable number at which point a bag or slot limit will be reversed in favour of the rec fisher and that is because it's all about locking the rec fisherman out of the stock.

even if there were so many fish about that they were jumping into your boat they would still keep the bag limits , cause it's not really about the fish stock at all it just about controlling the general public.

BigE
    I have no problem with laws and limits , but as i originally posted if there is no point at which limits are increased then the whole exercise isn't really about about sustainability or conservation it just about locking Joe Average out. which is is usually the primary aim of IMG's (issue motivated groups) and used (very effectively I might add) to control either policy or people.

i'm sure there will be some who don't share this point of view and that's OK, i only ask those who have an opposing point of view at what point would you consider an increase rather than a decrease in take or bag limits???

BigE

I reckon it would be pretty rare to find a species that has made sufficient number increase to warrant a lowering of size or catch limits, although at one time Blue Groper had a total ban in NSW, and now there is only a ban on spearing them, I guess if you looked hard enough there "could" be some?

OH, and just to add, I think we have a "slightly" opposite view, but, I don't think you are entirely wrong, I personallly think limits are imposed to help stocks, black marketing and waste, not just to stop people catching fish, most size limits are fine, and most bag limits are OK. Recently we had a reduction on our bag limit of Blue Swimmer crabs (sandies) it went from 20 per person to 10, which is pretty rough, but add to this, they took 1 trap off us, now I don't see what difference it makes to catch 10 crabs in 5 traps, or 10 crabs in 4 traps, which is our new limit, sure it might make it more difficult to "bag out" but with 2 or 3 people in a boat, it's still a lot of traps in the water.

Tell me one species of CRFF table fish that is in surplus proportions and needs a cull.. Noelm is correct, limits are imposed to help stocks - again i refer back to the risk assessment matrix for assessing he best way to manage our stocks- (feel free to use google if you want).

Don't get me wrong, I do love wetting a line and relish in having a a good feed with mates after a trip but i've conceded that i may have to spend more money and time to continue doing what i love.

Some of the arguments on this topic are some of the most irrational selfish crap i have read in a while.

I don’t see any selfish posts in this thread.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    Tell me one species of CRFF table fish that is in surplus proportions and needs a cull.. Noelm is correct, limits are imposed to help stocks - again i refer back to the risk assessment matrix for assessing he best way to manage our stocks- (feel free to use google if you want).

Don't get me wrong, I do love wetting a line and relish in having a a good feed with mates after a trip but i've conceded that i may have to spend more money and time to continue doing what i love.

Some of the arguments on this topic are some of the most irrational selfish crap i have read in a while.
    Hussar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What evidence are you basing this off?

Tony can catch them😂😂😂😂😂😂😂