Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Central Moreton Bay Fishing status: “It’s stuffed!”

Re: Central Moreton Bay Fishing status: “It’s stuffed!”

Agree its pretty hard going, particularly for those more residential bottom type species. I've given up chasing those species all together in the hard hit areas like the Goldy, I guess I find it hard to hammer a resource that I know is stuffed and me hammering it harder will only stuff it more. I've pretty much shifted 100% to game fishing in those areas purely on the basis of it being worthwhile and people actually put the fish back (to some degree). Understand that this form of fishing isn't within the reach of every fisho and not everyone's thing but its the only answer that I have been able to come up with for me. If i'm not on the shelf I chase pelagics (moving populations), if I'm not doing either of those its swimming and snorkelling. I can catch a feed of snapper on the goldy if I want but I think the poor bastards can do without me hammering them as well. Happy to target a modest feed of snaps or pearlies in less fished areas though.
    Scott

Around 12 years ago when plastics were braining the snapper in the bay you could sometimes bag out by 6 am around mud or Green island but my last 5 trips to Mud have returned not 1 fish, that includes undersized snapper as well.

Well my 2 cents worth...….. I have lived in Brisbane all my life 58 years and have fished it from a child as well as hundreds of trips to Hervey Bay. I do agree with bag limits at present and as said above for many fisherman it is never or rarely reached. Qld government has introduced green zones, go slow zones etc and yes there are soo many more people fishing these days with better equipment. what needs to occur in my opinion is the immediate stop to commercial fishing in the bay and the Brisbane river by this I mean trawling and netting. Many years ago this type of fishing was stopped at Hervey bay and within about five years fisho's could again catch a mackeral and other species without having to travel to o far. Have a look in the Brisbane river on a week day at the trawlers and the mud slick they leave behind. I don't have all the answers but smashing the bay and the river heavily 5 days a week need to stop.

Mangrove protection green zones and more artificial structures are all needed but it appears we are too slow with acting on these so add these and stop that and maybe just maybe good fishing might return to Moreton Bay. Just imagine if most recreational fisherman could not catch fish on most outings what would happen to the supporting industries boats, tackle, bait, trailers, repairs to all mentioned.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

"Well my 2 cents worth...….."

Yep, well said!

The Rous Channel in Moreton Bay is bordered by Marine No Fishing Zones left, right and centre!

What is left has been hammered to often by so many boats no self respecting fish would want to live there!

If you go down to Victoria Point or anywhere the pro-netters bring in their catch, you will break down and cry! Box after box of the species we are all after ……. big whiting, flattie, bream, you name it they catch it and in big quantities! I've seen them doing illegal night netting around the entrance of Eprapah Creek and they really clean up there!

Likewise Thompsons Beach at Vicky Point used to be a mecca for whiting, flattie, yabbies, bream, sandies, most everything! Then the Yellow Raincoats moved in en masse and not only wiped out all the fish, they also cleaned out the vast numbers of periwinkles and anything that was wet, moved or slithered!

Always annoys me that the B & F guys would prefer to chase Dad, Mum and the kids out trying to catch a feed rather than clean up the Asian fishing gang who go out in their boats and - being damn good fisherman - simply hammer a spot(s) until it is finished e.g. prawns at the Powerlines in lower Moreton Bay.

I'm off tomorrow, Wednesday, with Dave Palermo on "PRESTIGE" to the outer reefs of Moreton Is. as he catches top fish and at $230 for a full day's fishing with everything provided, you only have to bring home say 8-10 kgs of fish fillets to pay for the trip!

Like many other members, I'm lucky to have been around in the "good old days" when a chunk of mullet fillet on a hook would get you great fish anywhere in the Bay.

Gunna go pack my rod and stuff for a 5.00 am departure!

All these threads come back to the same thing, we (recs) want all pro fishing banned in our neck of the woods, but we want less restrictions put on ourselves, can't have it both ways!

So more imported fish, crabs and prawns for us casuals that usually have to buy our seafood ? That's not gone well.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    All these threads come back to the same thing, we (recs) want all pro fishing banned in our neck of the woods, but we want less restrictions put on ourselves, can't have it both ways!
    I don't want less restrictions on rec fishers. Just remove more and more inshore/bay commercial areas and allow rec fishos to have a fair day out.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Don,t agree ...... I seem to do ok , but then again i use hand-lines a lot so it is pretty simple fishing style.

BigE

I don't find it hard to get a feed with the kids and I only fish land based. I have over 25 years of fishing experience and have written a little bit about the Bay being the author of the Environmental History and Ecology of Moreton Bay (https://www.publish.csiro.au/book/7676/). I am happy to show anyone how to get a feed land based.

I've honestly found the exact opposite to be true. I'm 48 now but I grew up at Wello Point and had a boat since I was twelve. I could go out and get as many whiting as I wanted anytime, and still can. I can't remember the last time I struggled to catch fish in the bay. And not just whiting. Mackerel, snapper, squid, cuttlys...all the stuff I like to target are thicker now than I ever saw them! Since they stopped mackerel netting in the bay, you can't help but catch macks. And since the green zones, whiting are back as thick as I ever saw them. I'm more optimistic about the future of the bay every trip (and I fish most weekends).

I agree, takes some time and effort to find the marks but bait means fish nearly every time. Spano better than 20kg and some nice cod 2 weeks ago in the middle of the bay on a spot found during half a day of searching previously.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Dezzer;1644540]I agree, takes some time and effort to find the marks but bait means fish nearly every time. Spano better than 20kg and some nice cod 2 weeks ago in the middle of the bay on a spot found during half a day of searching previously.

................... and the coordinates are????