Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Hi All

    I'm after some help in finding an island to camp on which would offer good access to Mackerel grounds & Reef for a bit of GT popping

    I'm open to anywhere between Gladstone & Cairns as it would be a two week trip .

    Ideally it would have good access ( to run the boat up & anchor off ) Offer protection from prevailing conditions found during winter time .
    Boat is a 615 Barcrusher CC

    I know there are good options off Bowen , Airlie , Mackay but interested to hear some of your favourites



    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  2. #2

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Northwest island off Gladstone.

    Well worth a look.

  3. #3

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Jay View Post
    Northwest island off Gladstone.

    Well worth a look.
    Ta HJ

    Nearly made it there but had to cancel last year when I lost my job a month or so out from the trip ...... we were going to do the Barge thing. It is an option but too tidal dependant for my liking - I want to sleep on terra firma but not have my boat high & dry either

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  4. #4

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Orpheus Island

  5. #5

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Ta HJ

    Nearly made it there but had to cancel last year when I lost my job a month or so out from the trip ...... we were going to do the Barge thing. It is an option but too tidal dependant for my liking - I want to sleep on terra firma but not have my boat high & dry either

    Chris
    yeah I agree. Itís the one reason I havenít been back yet (although I will one day).
    magic place, but can only get in and out at high tide with a decent size boat, so fishing can be limited.

    lady Musgrave may be an option as it is all tide access. But I am just not sure where you are allowed to anchor the boat close to the island in the lagoon. I think camping is opposite side of the lagoon, so all gear needs to be carried across the island.

    A good topic, I will be watching with interest.

  6. #6

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Another one worth a look is Scawfell island off Mackay.

    I have never been there, but it is on my bucket list.

  7. #7

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Jay View Post
    Another one worth a look is Scawfell island off Mackay.

    I have never been there, but it is on my bucket list.
    Been looking at that one on google earth & is one for the list ...... be interested to hear if anyone has been there.
    There are a few options in the Cumberland group

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  8. #8
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Hi Chris

    I have been there.

    Spent three days in the bay ie Refuge Bay getting out of strong SE winds while trying to sail from Airley Beach to the Gold Coast on a 43 Perry.

    Magic safe area from SE winds but we still got bullets that came over the ridge. Shelter shed on the beach with a rainwater tank. Good anchorage in the bay but still big tides.

    Check out this map for options http://www.ccy.com.au/locations/

    Cheers
    Chimo

    PS also spent part of a night anchored up between the Keswick and St Bees islands on the way to Refuge Bay.

    image.jpg
    What could go wrong.......................

  9. #9

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Hi Chris

    I have been there.

    Spent three days in the bay ie Refuge Bay getting out of strong SE winds while trying to sail from Airley Beach to the Gold Coast on a 43 Perry.

    Magic safe area from SE winds but we still got bullets that came over the ridge. Shelter shed on the beach with a rainwater tank. Good anchorage in the bay but still big tides.

    Check out this map for options http://www.ccy.com.au/locations/

    Cheers
    Chimo

    PS also spent part of a night anchored up between the Keswick and St Bees islands on the way to Refuge Bay.

    image.jpg

    Thanks for the heads up

    Do you think you could use the pulley system to pull the boat in and out of deeper water ?. ..... maybe a 100 m loop

    For mine ... that is the ideal scenario ...... Drop a heavy anchor with long chain in deeper water (1m deeper than the lowest tide) for overnight anchoring - pull the boat out to the buoy & pull the boat back in as required .

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  10. #10
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    DSCF0620 Resized Mooring Vag AF M G.jpg
    Nagg

    I don't see why not.
    This is mine at the M&G at Stradbroke Island

    I used a second anchor on shore with the boat paynter tied off to the endless loop so it ends up at the end of the chain where the loop is joined with a bowline.

    Your "land" anchor could sit off shore too with separate line from it to shore tied to a tree or other solid point.. Just locate a float above the "land anchor" and be sure to knot the endless loop at the land anchor so the boat stays "in the deep"
    What could go wrong.......................

  11. #11

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Good info Chimo.
    I am am keen to get up there.

    Chris, if you ever plan the trip and are looking for a second boat to come I would be interested.
    I run a 2400 Noosacat.

  12. #12

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    I'm very keen to spend a few days at Humpy's island. Cheers

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

  13. #13

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Jay View Post
    Good info Chimo.
    I am am keen to get up there.

    Chris, if you ever plan the trip and are looking for a second boat to come I would be interested.
    I run a 2400 Noosacat.
    That would be good ...... it might be a way off yet though ( Autumn 2019) - These trips take some planning when traveling so far ..... not to mention teeing up the annual leave as it would need to be at least a full week plus the weekends to travel up & back from Sydney . Just need to find the right destination & work out logistics for fuel ......... love this stuff .

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  14. #14

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Hey mate.
    Iv done northwest a couple of time. Going again in September.

    Gave heard of blokes going the Percy's?
    What about Lizard island? I've heard you can camp there?

    cheers Rob

  15. #15

    Re: Queensland Islands - boat based camping

    Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Hey mate.
    Iv done northwest a couple of time. Going again in September.

    Gave heard of blokes going the Percy's?
    What about Lizard island? I've heard you can camp there?

    cheers Rob
    Thanks Rob

    Yeh , Percy would be a bit of a mission ...... dealing with the Stanage road first - & even out at Middle island , you are still 50km to the reef . I think there are better options though at a place like the Whitsundays

    Lizard would be amazing though the logistics would be a killer unless you had a few boats (not sure about availability of fuel) - even from Cooktown it would be around 100kms . ..... with only a 140lt tank of fuel I'd need to get everything right

    Regardless - thanks for the suggestions

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us