Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what are bearing buddies

Ausfish Silver Member

what are bearing buddies

please tell me more then they hold your bearings in, ie what i need to do to service them check them etc,

thanks gang..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Re: what are bearing buddies

Not a lot to them, in simple terms, they are a spring loaded gizmo with a grease nipple, that fits on the centre of the hub, you pump grease in, and the spring moves out, the theory being as the grease gets used, the spring tension keeps the hub full, leaving no space for water to get in, great theory, and they do work, but not exactly always as designed.

OH, they play no part in keeping the bearings located.

They are perfect as a hub cap and keep the outer bearing in grease.
    I found to stop the bigger inner bearing from rusting out, I had to pack the ribs of bearing seal with plenty of grease.
    This added years to my inner bearing life.

Ausfish Silver Member

thanks lads,

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    They are perfect as a hub cap and keep the outer bearing in grease.
    I found to stop the bigger inner bearing from rusting out, I had to pack the ribs of bearing seal with plenty of grease.
    This added years to my inner bearing life.
    That's because they weren't installed properly, visit the bearing buddy website for instructions.

Fed,
    fitted them as per Mr Hoyle. but unless you pack the centre of the hub solidly with grease there is plenty of air in the middle to compress and fizz out past the inner seal as the spring in the b/buddy pushes in.
    Still like them on the outside but as I said all my inner bearing problems stopped when I started packing the seals with grease.
    What works for you is the way to go.

Why don't you guys drill, tap and fit a grease nipple between the bearings????
    Purely simple logic do do so.
    Jack.

I don't want fill the middle bit with cans of grease.
    I just want to keep the water out on each side.
    At the moment I'm getting the result I wanted.

Ausfish Silver Member

each have there own little ways they prefer to do a job, but if they make the bearing last longer as jim says then ill leave em on,, i bought a boat on a trailer a week ago and it had bearing buddies is why i ask,, thanks lads..

Packing the bearings with grease BEFORE you install them really is the start of things, not done properly they heat up before melting surrounding grease to flow in, by that time the bearing life has been shortened.

Tunaticer, your idea works but what do you use for a bearing cap, I need to bury my wheels underwater and normal caps won't work.

I really only use bearing buddies because they are the best seal on the outside.

bearing budies 2.png.jpgbearing budies 1.png

The fair dinkum bearing buddies are imo - considerably better than the cheaper knock offs

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yes without a doubt, the cheap copies either rust to bits, fall out or just bugger up, the genuine ones are far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yes without a doubt, the cheap copies either rust to bits, fall out or just bugger up, the genuine ones are far superior.
    Absolutely ...... I've had to buy at times the knock offs - things like just not fitting (falling off) or nipples unscrewing are common ...... Never had an issue when I've used the actual US made bearing buddy .
    I will say though that the Trojan copy is reasonably good - but these are considerably more expensive than the other knock offs ..... $50 / pair vs $30 for cheapies.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

For not much more just buy the durahubs. Wont look back once you install them.