Thread: Decision time

Decision time

Well I am back in oz and looking at spending some money on a boat. What I really would like is a 450 topender but don't want to spend $25-32,000. So my next option is a Haines hunter 16R. Anyone else got some good options under 20? Why these two? Because I know them well. Others not so sure. Both are outstanding in their niche.

Re: Decision time

HH has a good wide spread reputation across Australia but its a old model if u have 25k u could possibly pick something up a few years old

Are u limiting your self to the runabout style of boat?

Are u sticking to 16 foot in size?

Can you get a 450 topender on the water for $32K ?
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Can you get a 450 topender on the water for $32K ?
    With a seconhand motor i can, probably 25. In the end i can spend the money but not sure i want to, lol. Yes i am being a bit of a tight arse, but if i can spend under 20 for a top boat, i will.
    yes i want to stick with runabout /sc style. I will be sending the boat to thailand at the end of the year. As you can appreciate, the weather is more like darwin than melbourne's port phillip bay. Its going by container so has to be less than 5.8m trailer length.
    Quintrex dealer in bangkok wants close to $40,000 with a 60 4s yammie. Bit rich for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    With a seconhand motor i can, probably 25. In the end i can spend the money but not sure i want to, lol. Yes i am being a bit of a tight arse, but if i can spend under 20 for a top boat, i will.
    yes i want to stick with runabout /sc style. I will be sending the boat to thailand at the end of the year. As you can appreciate, the weather is more like darwin than melbourne's port phillip bay. Its going by container so has to be less than 5.8m trailer length.
    Quintrex dealer in bangkok wants close to $40,000 with a 60 4s yammie. Bit rich for me.
    Boat sales have some starting at mid 28’s so 32 seem very possible and that was new with an etec

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

In my Opinion the Top ender is stupdily over priced for what you get. $35k for a 4.5m tinny is ridiculous.

Buy yourself a half decent offshore glass boat for that money.

We got the old man's poly 480 brumby front runner for your budget (just over $20k) with a Honda 75 and full elecs only a few years old. It is the sort of hull construction you would take anywhere in the world and have lots of faith in - they don't break. They don't go through ocean like a v16 but they'd be as good as or better than the quinny 460. And they come on a short trailer so should be right around the desired length. Just a thought. They are essentially a side console with front casting deck ready to go. The port side seat and console screw out if not required.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    We got the old man's poly 480 brumby front runner for your budget (just over $20k) with a Honda 75 and full elecs only a few years old. It is the sort of hull construction you would take anywhere in the world and have lots of faith in - they don't break. They don't go through ocean like a v16 but they'd be as good as or better than the quinny 460. And they come on a short trailer so should be right around the desired length. Just a thought. They are essentially a side console with front casting deck ready to go. The port side seat and console screw out if not required.

Thanks GBC. That looks like what i am asking about.

I have now decided that i dont want to spend more than about $15,000 all up. Sure i like the bling of a new boat, but i am being practical here. I have seen lots of nice boats that need a bit of tlc to bling again below $10,000. As for quintrex boats, nice boats but really over priced in the used market.

boats are overpriced, for 15k you could get a second hand clark, bullet proof and better built than quintrex me reckons. you dont want a real flash boat in thailand really . a good fishing tinnie that can take the punches is practical,