Thread: Norcat boats

Norcat boats

Does any know the history of Norcat boats? Seems most boats are mid 90's as latest models, seems Coast Guard had some in mid 80's.

Who made them, where were they made? What was quality like? Anybody ridden in one - how is the ride?

Not much out there on them.

Cheers Adam

Re: Norcat boats

I think they are ok. Why are you looking at them? Cost? I'd prefer a big mono for the same size but their are some bargains to be had for sure. My experience of them were Keith Hall ran a charter boat one called Incredible out of Redcliffe in a 36' one with Volvos. I think the Volvos were problematic and I am not really a Volvo fan to start with. Wazza Patterson had a 40' one called Heat Wave. It was heaps better. His engines were fully in the cockpit. Keith with the smaller boat, half of his engine was in the cockpit and half was in the saloon which made working on them a lot more problematic. At trolling speed they suffer from the cat sneeze over the front. Another very successful one was called Catapult and owned by a Sunny Coast legend Rod Fett before he built a 43' Obrien. I think they are solid and lots were/are in survey as charter boats. The Seaprobe charter company famously ran 2-3 out of Southport back in the Chris Conroy World of Boats era out the back of Soutport Marine and Dive I think it was. Those boats did some hours and killed more fish than the super trawler!

Thanks Smithy

Have a big payment coming in a few months so been looking trolling through lots of boat ads. Came across the Norcats. A few seem to be repowered and with sterndrives (also replaced recently).

The one thing that I have really enjoyed on my current boat is spending the time slowly, but surely doing it up.

If the hulls were ok, newer motos and sterndrives, then looking as a base for a project.

I like the room they have on the 1000 challenger, and actually like the look of them too.

In any case, it is just one that I stumbled across and couldnt find anything on them. Many others in the mix at this stage also and many months before I buy.

Killing more fish than the super trawler - same as your charter, it was like killing fish in a barrell that day out wide on a wreck. Every drift all us hooked up every time.

Cheers Adam

Originally designed and built by Alan Christianson in Townsville, and then taken over by guys on the gold coast. I took one for a run 15 or 20 years ago and left it alone. Way too low in the tunnel, too blunt under the bow, and got covered in water spray on the flybridge every wave. I spoke with Alan and he also agreed if he had his time again would be higher and wider. Other than that nice style of cat and relatively cheap these days.