Thread: Marine park zones on Furuno chart plotter

Marine park zones on Furuno chart plotter

Just watching some vids on the QME marine electronics site and they displayed some units I noticed one of the new units had maps that had the marine zones on the screen in the correct zone colours (green ,pink , yellow etc) has anyone got this on there fururo chart plotter?
    and how good is it ?

It looks really good on the clip and is something i have been looking for. couldn't seem to get it on the Garmin Charts only bloody little lines on the screen which are easy to miss.

BigE

Re: Marine park zones on Furuno chart plotter

Zones have been available in colour for some time in anything that uses C-Map - initially the GBRMPA zones and now the Moreton Bay stuff as well. In the Max format I actually turn mine off ( Furuno GP7000F) unless I am flirting with the edge of a zone as they obscure the chart detail. I haven't paid attention to either the Max4D or the Furuno Time zero gear to see if this is the case with these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Just watching some vids on the QME marine electronics site and they displayed some units I noticed one of the new units had maps that had the marine zones on the screen in the correct zone colours (green ,pink , yellow etc) has anyone got this on there fururo chart plotter?
    and how good is it ?

It looks really good on the clip and is something i have been looking for. couldn't seem to get it on the Garmin Charts only bloody little lines on the screen which are easy to miss.

BigE
    Yep, little dotted red lines for all areas and all they say is Restricted Area. I end up clogging my unit with useless data by placing a route over the zones and naming them as per the charts e.g. MP-23-1169. But then again we're both running some fairly old units (by today's stsndards)

Yep hate those little dotted lines

BigE

Any hope of Garmin mapping following suit?

Would be really good if there was a mapping upgrade for Garmin that would display shaded marine park zones.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Any hope of Garmin mapping following suit?

BigE
    Garmin uses a Navionics core - they also purchased Navionics late last year. The Navionics charting has always used a simple pink line as a boundary designator so unless there is sufficient consumer demand, probably not.