Thread: Leaving from tannum sands

Leaving from tannum sands

As the heading suggests do people leave from here to go to Fitzroy and Sykes as I’m getting keen in the next month and don’t want to get stuck waiting for the tide at 1770..
    alternative is to leave from Gladstone would there be much difference?
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Re: Leaving from tannum sands

I personally haven't been out of Tannum sands though have out of 1770 many times, Fitzroy and Sykes is accessible out of both, Bundaberg would be a serious hike and more likely done in a big boat like a liveaboard (I did this once on Big Cat Reality when it was a dive boat).
    My understanding is that Tannum sands has it's own issues with low tide, ie the ramp isn't accessible at low tide simply due to the size of the tides up there. Though if someone who knows Tannum Sands could advise if this is correct?

We have always been able to get in and out of 1770 however last year we walked the boat through the shallows to get home.

Thanks for that almako is 1770 still possible doesn’t sound to good or should I just head north to Gladstone and leave from there and hide around heron ,one tree,and Sykes. And possibly drive down to Fitzroy.
    Would this be much more of a trip fuel wise I have a 175hp Suzi with 210ltr tank and 70lts of Jerry’s ?

Gladstone to Sykes ia around the same distance by boat as 1770 to Sykes is.
    Leaving from Gladstone would save the driving time all the way down to 1770

Personally I prefer Turkey Beach other than the sand flies. I was at Boyne/Tannum for easter. They are dredging the channel but I don't think it is finished yet. It is very coarse stuff with rocks. For the same tides and less travel distance I'd prefer 1770. Once dredged Boyne Island will be good as the ramp is good with a good pontoon etc, it is just getting there on a low tide and I guessing but not being a local, the harbour could get pretty messy in a wind V tide situation being so big and wide with big tides. There is less fetch on Rodd's Harbour at Turkey and 1770 you only have the bar to contend with.

Gladstone also gives you some more options to the north such as masthead, northwest, Bloomfield, north reef, Douglas, Guthries ect,ect.

Probably no need to run down to fitzroys, as there is some bigger islands to hide behind for the night if needed.

But then, if you are already comfortable fishing out of 1770, the bar is still very workable.

Took a run out from 1770 to Fitzroy and Sykes last week.

Bar was shallow but still manageable until last hour before low.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks very much people I might give 1770 a go again ..is it best to just putt through until the bar?
    Have they moved any markers or is there just the same as a couple years ago 2 marker bouy. And how close to the rock do you need to be to got out of the bar now?

What sort of economy you getting with your 175 jsm?

Looking to do a trip this year the kevlacat is finally ready and just making sure we will have plenty in the ranks and don’t have to take spare.

It's a go slow zone from the ramp till you get to the point out from the camping grounds from there you can get on the plane for about 30 seconds or so until the green marker where you cut across to the right, this is where it is shallow all the way through till outside. Some locals are using a different channel at the green marker and pretty much going straight ahead but the original channel next to the headland is still the official one.

Always worth a drive up to the lookout on low tide to check out the channels before heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    What sort of economy you getting with your 175 jsm?

Looking to do a trip this year the kevlacat is finally ready and just making sure we will have plenty in the ranks and don’t have to take spare.
    Hi mate I get about 1.6-1.7 kilometres at 4100rpm 23-24knots
    i drive almost everywhere at 4800-5000rpm for 28-31knots 1.4 kilometres .
    I just did on my last trip 90.8 nautical miles for 105l of fuel and the weather was shite in the morning till around 8am
    went from Wynnum through the sp bar middle channel out to 100m up to the cape moved around all day then blasted back through the bay flat out for 105ltrs

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Hi mate I get about 1.6-1.7 kilometres at 4100rpm 23-24knots
    i drive almost everywhere at 4800-5000rpm for 28-31knots 1.4 kilometres .
    I just did on my last trip 90.8 nautical miles for 105l of fuel and the weather was shite in the morning till around 8am
    went from Wynnum through the sp bar middle channel out to 100m up to the cape moved around all day then blasted back through the bay flat out for 105ltrs
    Off some quick calculations we get about 1.5 at 40lm and hour and then goes down to about 1.2 at over 50km an hour we have 36litres of fuel which best case gives us about 500km of range all of this is combined. Do you think this would be more then sufficient or should I also look at bladders to get us out to the islands?

I think it would be more then enough but we have never done a weekend out there and would rather not run out of fuel.

Hey Skusto

i have done around fall a dozen trips out to the bunkers now, staying usually one night, but have stayed 2 nights out there. Each trip doing between 200-300km.
    We have fished between Boult and Sykes, and out to around 150m.

I would say a range of 500km should see you through.

Cheers
    Rob

Awesome thank you rob for the reply I figured we would be good but best to check.

Thanks

Skusto I have been to musgrave a couple of times I have a 210ltr tank and always take 70 in Jerry’s
    ihave only ever used the Jerry’s on the last morning of a 2night stay and trolling and driving out another 10miles past musgrave so I think 500 would be ample 😊