Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS responce times.

GPS responce times.

I have a Garmin 750S GPS/Fish finder combo. I only use it for the GPS but i get so frustrated with it, as the response time seem very slow, and you end up chasing your tail when trying at times to get over a mark etc etc.
    How can you check the gps response time or map update time or refresh time ????
    How do they list this in there spec sheet so one can compare units.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Re: GPS responce times.

Yep, it's a common problem, the newer models are much better, I set mine to "north up" and it's heaps better, tricky to use at first, but stops that map moving around business.

As an example, I fish a spot that has sand for about 4K in all directions, except for the tiny dot of reef right in the middle of the "desert" and it is only about 10m long and 5 wide, and if I use "head up" the chart just rotates around and around when going slow to try to find the spot, north up, it is fine.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, definitely stick with North Up. Having Heading Up just absolutely sucks. I used to do this for a living, when you are crayfishing you live and die by the marks you have put on your GPS to set pots, and NOBODY in the industry used heading up. As Noel pointed out, apart from the vertigo-inducing effect on you of the wheeling of the whole map when you are turning, the machine is having to re-draw the whole map constantly, rather than just your position icon. So processor speed comes into it.
    If you are having trouble with the concept of North Up, think of it as the God's Eye view--you are way overhead, looking down. The view is fixed, the boat changes direction. With heading Up, the boat is fixed, the view changes direction. Once you are accustomed to north up, and it won't take long, you'll never want to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    I have a Garmin 750S GPS/Fish finder combo. I only use it for the GPS but i get so frustrated with it, as the response time seem very slow, and you end up chasing your tail when trying at times to get over a mark etc etc.
    How can you check the gps response time or map update time or refresh time ????
    How do they list this in there spec sheet so one can compare units.

Internal or external gps receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Couple of things could be at play here - as mentioned Head up/ north up setting. Head up is great for travelling at speed - especially if you are like me and never quite got the hang of the remote control car "steer left it goes right" when it's coming towards you. When you are running at speed or attempting to follow a critical track, it is IMO better to be on head up. When fishing however, head up is the biggest PITA ever. Switching to north up is a heap easier and once you wrap your head around the fact that left isn't always left life gets a lot easier. There are two ways to make life easier in north up - first is to use in conjunction with a compass. The second is to simply think of the GPS display as a clock and either turn clockwise or anti clockwise as required.

The Garmin 750 series also had the feature that the settings for each chart (Navigation or fishing) are independent of each other. To save yourself hunting through menus, set the Navigation chart to head up, the fishing chart to north up and change between the two as required.

The other thing that Jason was I suspect alluding to is the possibility that you have poor signal strength - check your satellite status display and see what the signal levels are like. If they are poor due to an in dash mount, interference from other gear or from being under a hard top, the external antenna is a good option with the added benefit of being reasonably priced for those units.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Internal or external gps receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Internal

Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Internal

Ok a bit more info.
    I run with north up on the fishing chart which is what i use once i get close to a mark or searching new ground. I find the boat on the chart is slow to react to what the I'm actually doing and when i does move it moves to far, its a bit like a slow moving pendulum.
    The unit is on the dash and not obstructed by anything over head. I have not checked to see how many satellites are in use recently but at other times its been maybe 8 to10.

Doesn't sound right. How long since it had a software update?

I looked on the Garmin web site and didn't find any updates for this unit.

Do you have a large amount of tracks or waypoints? They can slow down if running at capacity. Next thing I would do is save the waypoints and give it a factory reset.

I think it is just a "feature" of the 750, I have the same problem, my mate has a much later model Garmin and it's miles better/faster than mine, though north up is very usable compared to head up, never did like course up much.

Sometimes I have the same issue with my Humminbird and looking into it apparently there is something to do with travel speed in relation to it updating your gps location and that you can use a external gps with a heading sensor to compensate this something along those lines anyway I think

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

With the 750 Garmin (and perhaps others) if you are stopped, it defaults to north up, once you start moving, it then goes to head up, if that's what you have set, because the unit is slow to update, if you are going slow, it will kind of toggle between the two, making it very inaccurate and causing the map to rotate back and forth, pisses me off.

Hi Tropicow

Hi Have the same unit, with the 750s you def need to use the chart set on Nth up and buy an external GPS antennae.

Dont buy the $160 Garmin one just buy a cheap Chinese $30 - $40 one they work fine. needs a BNC connection.

The external aerial made heaps of difference. I am sure i did a post on it a fair while ago.

BigE