Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS responce times.

Re: GPS responce times.

Bruce, I have the same unit and similar issues, you appear to be over correcting and slowing down doesn't help. I did find that as I approach a mark I stop a short distance before it and watch for which way the boat drifts, then approach your mark from this angle. Unfortunately the 750S, 751xs are no longer supported by Garmin and no more software updates available, I have both units, it seems we are supposed to upgrade every couple of years like mobile phones.

Noelm, your comment was interesting about the unit reverting to Heads Up when stopped. Mine stays on North up and it must be some thing I changed because early on it did do that.

I discovered when I was messing around in the driveway, when stationary (or going slow) it changes to north up, I guess it is a default because the boat is not moving, it has nothing to reference direction to, so just goes north up, because the satellite updates are so slow on these "old" technology units, the device just toggles from head up to north up when going slow, and the map (and your position/direction) swaps back and forth too.

Must be a setting as mine doesn't toggle between nth up and heading , it stays on what ever option i have selected.

BigE

Thanks everyone been sone good advice here and food for thought.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Last update for the 750s was July 2015 Version 4.3.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Last update for the 750s was July 2015 Version 4.3.

BigE
    yep,that's the one. You can't even register your 750S or 751XS with Garmin anymore.

All old units used to run on 5Hz refresh rate whereas the new units run on 10Hz, I guess thats twice the speed.
    When you are zoomed in that far trying to get exactly on that mark 5Hz struggles, buy a 10Hz unit and your troubles go away.
    Had the same issue not long ago and upgraded problem solved.

Good thread! I have the same unit / issue and running north up certainly helps but good info that an external antenna might also improve things, other than that good little units I reckon.

Hard to believe electronics only 6 yrs old are considered outdated. Bit like smart phones your expected to get a new one every couple of yrs.
    Which brings me another point, i have always gone down the path of seperate units for gps and fish finder. But would getting one large unit to do both be better value. Trouble is some brands make better gps units and others better fish finders.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things