Thread: G'day from the Tweed Coast

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

G'day from the Tweed Coast

Thought an introduction in here might give you all a bit of info about me, my fishing and boating.

Having grown up on the mid North Coast living near the ocean, I am avid surfer and started fishing off the local breakwall for leather jacket whenever the surf was onshore. Family had offshore boats including a Nautiglass Half Cabin which was replaced by a Milligan Nipper. At age 14 I bought the Milligan home across and through a white water bar when the skipper went down with kidney stones.

Life, career etc took me away from the fishing side of the Ocean for decade or so. But, with a young family, I got back into fun fishing (kids entertainment and interest) and hired a few boats for family days out.

Based on the Tweed Coast in Northern NSW for past decade n a bit, I bought a neighbours old tinnie. As family grew, hull was upgraded, and with the then Stessco Squire 385 and Tohatsu 18hp we'd fish the Tweed River, go tubing, etc while on 'calm days' I'd also slip out from Pottsville and fish Black Rocks reef, and even Windarra Banks.

As the family has grown, just recently I upgraded our family boat. Now with a Quintrex 420 Renegade TS with Tohatsu 50hp 2 stroke I'm hoping I'll get out from Pottsville or Kingscliff more often while also doing more family days on Tweed River.

Family fishing is for fun, chasing Bream n flatties using mainly prawns. It's more about quantity than quality. I hunt flathead on soft plastics and bait. I'm looking forward to some more bottom bashing on the Ocean as the new boat will handle ocean conditions better and bar crossings better.

I've sent the new boat up with cabin (deck) lights so also hoping for some night fishing in the entrances of Tweed, Brunswick and maybe even the Seaway and Jumpin Pin.

As per my signature, "Ah Me Ting" is to be the name on the new boat, which is a play on my other responses when I'm out playing rather than working...

It's a 'board meeting' when I go surfing or 'at a course' when out playing golf.

Work gets in the way of living way too often. I really need a 5 day weekend to do all the things I want to enjoy. I can't for the life of me understand people who say they are bored or have nothing to do!
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Re: G'day from the Tweed Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    Thought an introduction in here might give you all a bit of info about me, my fishing and boating.

Having grown up on the mid North Coast living near the ocean, I am avid surfer and started fishing off the local breakwall for leather jacket whenever the surf was onshore. Family had offshore boats including a Nautiglass Half Cabin which was replaced by a Milligan Nipper. At age 14 I bought the Milligan home across and through a white water bar when the skipper went down with kidney stones.

Life, career etc took me away from the fishing side of the Ocean for decade or so. But, with a young family, I got back into fun fishing (kids entertainment and interest) and hired a few boats for family days out.

Based on the Tweed Coast in Northern NSW for past decade n a bit, I bought a neighbours old tinnie. As family grew, hull was upgraded, and with the then Stessco Squire 385 and Tohatsu 18hp we'd fish the Tweed River, go tubing, etc while on 'calm days' I'd also slip out from Pottsville and fish Black Rocks reef, and even Windarra Banks.

As the family has grown, just recently I upgraded our family boat. Now with a Quintrex 420 Renegade TS with Tohatsu 50hp 2 stroke I'm hoping I'll get out from Pottsville or Kingscliff more often while also doing more family days on Tweed River.

Family fishing is for fun, chasing Bream n flatties using mainly prawns. It's more about quantity than quality. I hunt flathead on soft plastics and bait. I'm looking forward to some more bottom bashing on the Ocean as the new boat will handle ocean conditions better and bar crossings better.

I've sent the new boat up with cabin (deck) lights so also hoping for some night fishing in the entrances of Tweed, Brunswick and maybe even the Seaway and Jumpin Pin.

As per my signature, "Ah Me Ting" is to be the name on the new boat, which is a play on my other responses when I'm out playing rather than working...

It's a 'board meeting' when I go surfing or 'at a course' when out playing golf.

Work gets in the way of living way too often. I really need a 5 day weekend to do all the things I want to enjoy. I can't for the life of me understand people who say they are bored or have nothing to do!
    Welcome aboard

Rather new to this myself but had some great advice from blokes on here.
    Can be quite funny watching some of them have digs at each other, but it's all in fun (mostly )

Steve

Smile, it confuses people
    Smile, It confuses people

Quote Originally Posted by Steve villani View Post
    Welcome aboard

Rather new to this myself but had some great advice from blokes on here.
    Can be quite funny watching some of them have digs at each other, but it's all in fun (mostly )

Steve

Smile, it confuses people
    Cheers mate.

And thanks for quoting me. I just re-read it and saw all the typos. Now, if I edit it, my fat fingers effect will remain forever!

hey mate welcome aboard, sounds like you had a good introduction to bar crossing at a young age . how did the milligan handle the white stuff? are these boats made up north, cant say ive seen any down south , and anyway should be right in the renegade crossing the bar with your surfing experience id say you'd have a good understanding of surf conditions more so than some boaters. good luck and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    hey mate welcome aboard, sounds like you had a good introduction to bar crossing at a young age . how did the milligan handle the white stuff? are these boats made up north, cant say ive seen any down south , and anyway should be right in the renegade crossing the bar with your surfing experience id say you'd have a good understanding of surf conditions more so than some boaters. good luck and enjoy.
    Cheers for the welcome mate.

Yes, lifetime in the surf on a small bit of foam n fibreglass has provided a unique understand of waves, surf, water movement and its ability to catch you off guard.

Milligan boats were made near Taree. They hold an ongoing solid reputation around the mid North coast.

At 14, I'd been in boats for a few years, often out fishing with my old man and his mates. I was taught to handle boats by some old seadogs. I'd often brought a boat home but not at the end of an ugly run out tide in wave breaking ugliness. Return trip that day hours ahead of schedule due to the old man going down. He popped his head up to check how I was going and saw a wave on our arse. I rode the back of the one in front as I'd been taught, got to flat water and took a very deep breathe.

The drive from boat ramp home was even more fun!