Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offshore Caloundra 04.05.2018

Offshore Caloundra 04.05.2018

Gday guys, just a quick report from today’s trip from Caloundra. This would have been one of my best local offshore fishing days.
    Started with a perfect weather forecast. It has been quite sometime since I have had a trip without getting belted so enjoyed this. Left Caloundra at 4.00am. First stop was bait from a shipping beacon. Nil caught!!!!!! Interesting thing is I have pulled lots of bait in the middle of the day both yesterday and the day before from this same beacon. Do Yakkas bite on jigs in the dark?
    Next stop 60m ground at wide Caloundra. 3 nice pearlies and 2 Moses perch Then off to the 100m line for nil. Out to 210m looking for cod. Found plenty and no current. Pulled 9 cod in about 2 hours and 2 orange roughy looking fish? We then came back into the same 60m country we started on and you seriously could have filled your boat with quality pearlies. I can’t 2 large pearlies on one set of gangs. We stopped at 10,our limit, and headed for home via 4 pots that were out soaking overnight. 24 nice sand crabs to cook. Back in the passage at 2.00pm for a solid couple of hours of cleaning up.

Heard plenty of radio chatter but didn’t see many boats?

I hope if any of you guys were also out that you all got a feed.

Cheers
    LeeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7745.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	117065

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Offshore Caloundra 04.05.2018

That's a top effort well done. I have always found that you need a bit of light for the bait jigs to work.

great catch Lee...freezer will be stocked with prime eating fish

Great trip mate.
    where the orange things nannies?

Iv had an exceptionally busy few months, but hoping to get some good weather in the next couple of months to get out there.

Cheers
    rob

Hi Soulfish, yeh all quality eating fish. The biggest cod was only 10kg and the smallest about 4kg so yeh better eating than the big fellas.
    Shaungonemad, interesting about the yakkas, I have tried in the dark before and failed but just thought it was me.
    RTP1984, 2 of the orange things I believe are orange roughies? I have caught quit a few really small ones recently but never a decent one. I may be wrong but I think that’s what they are. Really coarse scales. The other orange one is a perch which I believe is only caught around the deeper waters off Moreton Island.

Just another thing I didn’t originally mention. We dropped some very big fish during the morning to either tackle failure or busted lines. Here is a 14/0 gamakatsu hook that someone gave me a few of to try. Didn’t go so well
    Cheers

Name:	Image1525504478.046659.jpg 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	117066

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Ausfish Bronze Member willfraser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How far roughly from wide Caloundra are you fishing mate

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Hi Willfraer, I think about 20km. It is just over 50km from Caloundra bar.

Hi mate. I worked on a roughy trawler years ago. Smooth skin with a rough head. Generally in over 700 m of water.

Hi reel scream, I guess they are not roughies then. I was only going off the roughies I had seen caught on the tv further down south and thought they were the same. Any ideas what they could be? They ate well but as I said, reasonably large eyes, very rough scales and nice white flesh. Caught 200m deep north of cape Moreton. Beautiful bright orange colour.

Cheers
    Lee

Have a look at this site Lee.
    See if you can find them.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/as...FieldGuide.pdf

Glad you had a great day, about time you were a bit more gentle on your old man. Could be a type of Nanagai or a squirrel fish. You weren't raping my 60m mark were you 😉

Gday Sam, no mate, got 3 off your mark on the way out and then got the rest a bit further north along a similar line but on our direct path home from the deep. Yeh the old boy goes alright on the winch but knocks him around for the next day I think there may be a quiet nana nap that we don’t hear about

Gday RTP, thanks for that link but still not really sure? I’ll attach a better pic for anyone that knows?

Cheers

Name:	IMG_7761.jpg 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	117099

I'd go for big eye squirrel fish

I just googled them Sam and they say they only grow to 9 inches. 1 of the ones we got would have been 15+ inches? I am interested now to know what they are. They tasted alright