Thread: Electric reels and bent butts

Electric reels and bent butts

I just picked up a pair of Daiwa Tanacom 750's. I'm not sure whether I need bent butts with them or not. Of course salesmen think they're a must, interested in some experienced views.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Re: Electric reels and bent butts

We use bent butt rods when using them in the rodholder, the angle is just right if the holder is installed properly, but we are fishing 3-450m of water if fishing holding the rod, I think bent or straight would be OK, perhaps straight might just have the edge?

Can always get straight butts and bent rod holder adaptors

Aftco make a bent but /straight but, interchangeable system...instead of reel being attached to one or the other ..reel is attached to reel seat on butt...the you can interchange to straight or bent without having to take reel off each time..i have bent butts but would have gone this way had I have known at the time..

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    Aftco make a bent but /straight but, interchangeable system...instead of reel being attached to one or the other ..reel is attached to reel seat on butt...the you can interchange to straight or bent without having to take reel off each time..i have bent butts but would have gone this way had I have known at the time..
    Shimano do also but they do cost

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Great idea soulfish. I wasn't aware that was possible.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

we fish browns mountain off Sydney always use bent butts...better angle to the water..straights with lots of drag and heavy braid with no stretch can amount to the same as highsticking and break rods...rick

A trip to Tackle Warehouse today to check out rods with interchangeable butts I think. Makes sense and the Wife has decided she wants to buy them for me. She’s an Angel 😇.

So I wandered in to Tackle Warehouse to talk bent butts, and Old Mate talked me into just using my 8 foot 15-24 kg live fibres. He said if we ever go really deep dropping we will need bigger reels (the 750’s I bought have about 350m of 80lb braid on board) and the the bent butt will make sense.

i call that very good service.

Another option would be to just use some rod riggers if you wanted to lower the angle of the rod

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

If you mean those right angled pipe things, they will break on the first decent fish if you are fishing really deep! there is enormous strain on gear when winding up kilos of lead, and big fish from 300m

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    If you mean those right angled pipe things, they will break on the first decent fish if you are fishing really deep! there is enormous strain on gear when winding up kilos of lead, and big fish from 300m
    Not if they are custom made like mine. They may remove the rod holder and gunwale but it will all depend on line class and drag settings

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I was wondering that but if you think about the relax multi riggers running up to 10-15 kg on the strike drag for blacks you would think they would handle it worse case is the pin would shear but stainless is also a bit stronger than a fishing rod just my opinion how big is the average drag setting on these reels

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

I have been using the Reelax Multi Mount Rod Riggers for years out deep and they are perfect for deep dropping.
    I also use the normal Relaxn Outrigger Rod Holders without any issues.

Have a look at Sagami Pacific Bay rods on Ebay they have an interchangeable straight/bent butt. Well made and under 300$ delivered.