Thread: Mackay alloy trailers

Mackay alloy trailers

Does anyone have a Mackay alloy trailer. Plate boat builder has recommended the AL600 T HB, 13” inch rims. After people’s opinion on these as I know nothing about them. I’m also looking at custom trailers but they are a little more expensive.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. John.

http://mackaytrailers.com/boat-trail...lloy-trailers/

Re: Mackay alloy trailers

Not many 13" tyres have a decent load rating these days, probably should look at 14", they fit the same hubs anyway (well some do)

Radial light truck 13" tyres Available, 4 175X13 tyres rated to carry 2920 Kg, 4 185X 13 rated to carry 3200 Kg, 4 600X 13 bias 8 ply load 2840Kg

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    Radial light truck 13" tyres Available, 4 175X13 tyres rated to carry 2920 Kg, 4 185X 13 rated to carry 3200 Kg, 4 600X 13 bias 8 ply load 2840Kg
    Those sound OK, I recently looked for some decent 13" tyres and the three tyre places near me just suggested Chinese rubbish as it was an old size these days!

John

I have had a Mackay trailer in the past and while not Al it was good and the Mackay family are good to deal with, ex cockies years back.

As for tyre size I would be tempted to go with 14 inch as there are lots more to choose from and you will probably pay less for them given the buy 3 get one free deals that tend to be available from time to time.

Chimo

PS I would also get them to fit a walkway to the trailer and hang the spare wheel on a stub axle on a front adjustable bracket that makes beach launching with a rope so easy.
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks guys. The 13” inch only comes with slipper springs so not true load sharing. The 14” inch does so I will get a quote for it. Thanks.

Ausfish Silver Member

swiftco trailers you can buy direct off there website, dealer told me 2 week ago a trailer for a 3.1 tinnie was $1700 with rego, swiftco website $1400 with rego. dunbier, oceanic, etc all dealer only trailers, have a look at swiftco mate..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

I did have a Mackay Al trailer a couple of years ago. Tandem hydraulic braked 13” with load sharing axles and stainless brakes. Well built trailer worked fine rated to 2.6t from memory and 480kegs I think.

Mackay now owned by Dunbier so not sure if quality/flexibility changed.

I used to drop in on the guys and they would sort me out with any questions or special needs even making up custom guide frames on the spot. Hope they are still made in the old factory by the same guys they were great.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Up the creek, thanks I had a look but can’t see any alloy trailers.

swof63, when you say load sharing, was the suspension hangers eye at front, rocker in the middle and slipper at the rear? That’s what the 13” is now.

Im sure it was hanger eyes both front and back with the rocker in the middle joining the two springs. Don't recall any slipper springs.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Ausfish Silver Member

no worries jclay, i didnt read the alloy bit..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ps. My 13” load sharing Mackay was an option, the standard configuration was slipper springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Thanks mate. Got a quote for the 14” and it’s only $700 more so will probably go it.

Next question. Bunks or rollers. Personally I would like keel rollers for support and bunks for ease of maintenance. Will need to check with builder to see if keel rollers are ok. Anyone got any thoughts.

The main items that will need maintenance and they will still need to be replaced too often are the brakes and you are stuck with them unless you park at a marina.

Rollers have never been an issue or needed any work other than a hose wash on my Mackay or Tinka trailer.
    What could go wrong.......................