Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: retroftitting 420 renegade underfloor fuel tank

Re: retroftitting 420 renegade underfloor fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    http://www.santmarine.com.au/store/p...roducts_id=260

This is the 60 lt tank in my bluefin ,it has 2 breathers and fits in underfloor. It has never caused a problem with blowback or any other issue other than not being big enough sometimes . Call them they will help you with all you need ,I am sure quintrx use them as well . Matt
    I couldn’t figure out how come there was so much dirty water in my plastic Bluefin underfloor tank which came installed, in my 4.75 Weekender. Every trip I would have to empty the water trap on the return trip back home.
    Turned out the tank warped in the heat enough for a leak to develop where the sender unit screwed into the plastic. The tank warped to form a depression in the top of the tank, collecting the water to leak it into the tank.
    Took to NP Prop Works in Cairns. Nev fabricated and installed a 75lt aluminium tank to replace the 60lt plastic tank for less than $900. Same design, twin breathers etc, only slightly larger.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Steve u may get by using a stud finder for houses move it across your floor to see where the braces are duck in to a quintrex dealer jump in there boat and check that

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Steve u may get by using a stud finder for houses move it across your floor to see where the braces are duck in to a quintrex dealer jump in there boat and check that
    only one problem gazza, stud walls are built using nails. The stud finders typically use a magnet or detect a magnetic field. Aluminium doesnt work the same way, lol.

As for fitting fuel tanks up forward, keep in mind you dont want all the weight being on both extremes, you want the weight to be even around the center of gravity./center of buoyancy. That gives the motor a chance to perform at its best and gives you greater control of the boats attitude. Throwing a lot of weight up forward disrupts the hull's natural balance. The factory tank is probably the ideal and sits nicely in there. I personally think the 25l is enough but i bought a 10l spare for $20. Its a lot of money for convenience, hahahahaha

Ah ok Andy i thought they just sense the difference between hollow and solid areas

im going to get the dealer to do it as boats still under warranty and its only 300 for what would take me ages and am sure they would do a nicer finish

gaz helm full floor has to come out so dont really need to find them as all will be visible when floors pulled out.

these tanks are midship so no issues with weight up the front
    i have a 50hp four stroke and soem of the dams are massive down here also plan to down rig for kings and ive had a incident switching between totes so think the cost is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Ah ok Andy i thought they just sense the difference between hollow and solid areas
    hahahahaha, what form of magic is that? Its a common misconception that you wrap it up in a box, say its electronics and it does everything. its still based on simple physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    hahahahaha, what form of magic is that? Its a common misconception that you wrap it up in a box, say its electronics and it does everything. its still based on simple physics.
    White man magic.....but still simple physics. You weren't wrong Gazza - there are different types of stud finder bud.

http://www.studfindertool.com/how-do...d-finder-work/

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    White man magic.....but still simple physics. You weren't wrong Gazza - there are different types of stud finder bud.

http://www.studfindertool.com/how-do...d-finder-work/
    If you checked them out a bit further, it would seem there are issues with what ever sensors they use. Designed for 10mm gypsom. Not sure how effective through 12mm marine ply with carpet and aluminium frame. High frequency sound doesnt travel through solids very well. I put them under kangaroo deflectors and black boxes in brock commodores.

Update on this
    I finally ordered it and turned up today only took two weeks
    will fit it up next week after need to go for a fish next week first I case it doesn’t go to plan

Attachment 124892Attachment 124892
    74199C2E-537B-4C01-BDE0-6EBB55A67EF1.jpg

Pretty flash for a tinny..very nice..!

What size is it, mate and what did it end up costing you..?

50l
    yeah I thought they were a poly tank
    tank hoses filler breather clamps screws etc
    yamaha water separator fuel
    yaamha fuel sender that plugs into my Yamaha gauges

$1300

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    50l
    yeah I thought they were a poly tank
    tank hoses filler breather clamps screws etc
    yamaha water separator fuel
    yaamha fuel sender that plugs into my Yamaha gauges

$1300
    The santemarine poly tanks in a 60 lt are about $600
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I don’t know which one would fit plus would have to make up supports for it
    this was supplied by quintrex off the factory line for what they fit to a renegade
    and by the time you add up all the fuel hose and fittings senders it wouldn’t be much difference

Attachment 124917Attachment 124917967F9CA9-F94C-4E54-87F6-D872E0197734.jpg
    Attachment 124918Attachment 12491858FA6364-12A9-48C6-A2F7-08BD382A16EB.jpg
    Attachment 124919Attachment 124919AA7F4FA5-0495-48F1-9D59-C6D3BC554C79.jpg

got it in will fill and check for leaks before putting the floor back in and securing hoses etc
    need some shielding sleeving for the hoses going through holes cut in the ally and have to cut the floor to fit round it