Thread: Uber tow trucks, Such a thing?

Uber tow trucks, Such a thing?

Just went to roads and maritime to get a unregistered vehicle permit to tow a trailer home over the weekend, i filled out 2 forms and noted VIN N/A home made trailer pre 1989, the lady said she cannot give me a permit because i don't have a VIN, all trailers home made before 1989 dont have VIN's unless they were re-registered 1989 and on

how on earth do u get a trailer home with zero options?

the trailer is 20 foot long it won't fit on a car trailer, the axles are to wide to fit on the bed

cannot tow it home no permit

possibly to big for a tow trucks tray, cannot tow it on the back its unregistered...

bloody hell what are the options?

NSW RMS suck

Re: Uber tow trucks, Such a thing?

Register it under the build your own trailer option. They generate vin. You buy plate, engrave and affix. Have to sign a form saying it complies with guideline for building small trailer. Possibly also need roadworth cert. Just pick another teller, preferably bloke. That cow obviously in a bad mood

Plenty of tilt tray/tow trucks that will carry a 20' trailer. A lot of tilt trays move 6m/20' shipping containers around easily. There are bigger tilt trays available also.
    Just ring a few companies and give them the length of the trailer and they will tell you if they have a truck big enough.
    Good luck.

TMC

I had a similar issue recently but in QLD I did the permit online and just put a zero in as the vin it worked and gave me a permit number. I was a bit worried when I pulled up for a break and when I got out of the toilet there were 2 cop cars parked one behind me and one beside me, anyway by the I got something to eat from the bakery they were gone.

Uber tow trucks lol

Bloody uber drivers are the worst drivers on the roads I spend all day dodging the pricks in the city.

uber arnt that much cheaper i fat all when ive tried to use them

pay the coin and get a tow truck

Uber tow trucks, Such a thing?

Get a permit online via transport website.
    It’s super quick and easy. I had to do it a few times with my last boat as I had to tow it from Brissy to mackay on a Sunday.

Generally the staff at qld transport are sticklers for the rules and won’t cut you a break if you’ve missed a dot in an I...

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

You guys have it made in QLD, NSW are very strict the lady i seen at the counter had to go ask a manager and she said no i cannot prove which trailer i am towing it sucks,

the boat is at home now i called around for a tilt tray tow truck, i was booking it for sunday i asked the first guy for a quote 22km's distance $250 i than called another guy and he said $160 + GST i asked if he charges more for a sunday u bloody betcha..... lol i than said hows about monday haha

first bloke asked how long the trailer was and i needed to know the length from the tow hitch to the rear wheel than he asked where the boat was located i said cronulla he than said i know the boat its a V8 isnt it i started pissing me self the bloke had no bloody clue lol

$7 buys you a VIN, you might as well do it now as you will need it eventually, as myusernam says the type of trailer is homemade you will need to stamp the VIN number into the trailer. Once you've done what you need you then need to get it measured by a certifier, I could help you out with the whole process if you were on the Sunshine Coast. Just remember whatever GVM you want it rated at that the tyres will match, if its dual axle each tyre rating is less than single axle, easily found on the sidewall.

Oops, just realized your in NSW.l

Thanks Dig Appreciate the offer mate i am in Sydney tho, i would take it in to get the VIN number but in NSW it must pass a road worthy inspection before the mechanic gets allocated a VIN number from RMS, the trailer needs a little bit of work new springs,tow hitch and such so it wont pass a inspection just yet its a work in progress

OK, no worries, in Qld someone finally realised it didn't make sense so you buy the VIN first and if you have the pig trailer paperwork you can tow it to the qld tpt depot for registration. Saves an awful lot of hassle. Mind you the lady I got obviously hadn't dealt with my situation and kept saying I needed an inspection certificate, I had to keep telling her that the paperwork with all the measurements detailed it was within safety margins etc. Eventually went away to talk to somebody, came back and 2 rubber stamps later mine was registered.
    Try going back and getting someone else, rules change and they aren't always known or ring up first and find out the rules or try a local certifier (we even have mobile ones), they will let you know the shortcuts.

I actually didn't look at the trailer too much while it was at the sellers house i did look it over but totally under rated the rust, i rolled under the trailer yesterday to scrape off the barnicals from the hull and sad to say this trailer is far beyond repairable, big chassis splits in the steel i mean 20mm wide open gaps with rust caking from the inside out i am glad i made it home to be honest

sent off a email to a welder on gumtree and got quoted $950 to make me a new chassis in steel but than i would have to factor in expensive galvanizing and odds and ends

sent off a msg to a good aluminium welder i have previously used asking if they could possibly make me a nice big 6.5x2 meter aluminium trailer frame from aluminium i beams basically the cross members of i beam welded under the bottom sides of the outside rails also made from i beam, probably set me back around $1200-$1500 in aluminium plus whatever to weld

i could salvage my 4 wheels (brand new tires) axles good no rust, brakes, hubs, bearings still good

such a shame the boat was for free and i paid $1000 for the trailer anyhow i mostly wanted the boat but had no mobility of getting it home so now it has turned into a $1000 boat

you win some u lose some