Thread: New Castnet

New Castnet

Having never owned let alone thrown one,I recently purchased an new castnet from castnethq.com.au. with the intent of looking for a few prawns around the bay. I called up and spoke to Alex who was most helpful. I said I was a first timer and he recommended a 9ft top pocket/chain bottom net. I arranged pick-up/purchase and he even took me to a park across the road from his house to show me how to throw it. After watching many YouTube videos I went and had a throw in The Pine River and got half a dozen on my first cast. Many casts later I only got a few more and got a little better at casting although still very average...

I am no castnet expert but I found this net good value and less than half the price of a similar net at BCF.

Alex is on gumtree and eBay as well as the link below.

https://castnethq.com.au/Top-Pocket-Prawn-Cast-Nets/Top-Pocket-Prawn-Cast-Net-Chain-Bottom-TPN9

I am not in danger, I am the danger - Walter White

Re: New Castnet

Great to hear your learning a new skill. In the boat ive tried trays, plastic sheeting etc to keep the boat relatively clean but now i use one of those large soft tubs with 2 handles on them, used to get them from the reject shop, they stop crap going everywhere in the boat and also contains any prawns that may drop out of the net. Also while waiting to throw again I just hold the net over the tub.
    I don't see why that wouldn't also work from land to help contain prawns and stop picking up more debris from the ground, some grasses grab and hold the net.

Re: New Castnet

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Great to hear your learning a new skill. In the boat ive tried trays, plastic sheeting etc to keep the boat relatively clean but now i use one of those large soft tubs with 2 handles on them, used to get them from the reject shop, they stop crap going everywhere in the boat and also contains any prawns that may drop out of the net. Also while waiting to throw again I just hold the net over the tub.
    I don't see why that wouldn't also work from land to help contain prawns and stop picking up more debris from the ground, some grasses grab and hold the net.
    Great idea. Thanks for the tip.
    I am not in danger, I am the danger - Walter White