Thread: Tuesday in the Rous Ch Moreton Bay

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Tuesday in the Rous Ch Moreton Bay

Made a run for it on the one and only day offering light winds, and that they were, like glass all the way to my favourite spot!

Dozens of boats charging about but appeared very little being caught as usual these days where fish are becoming pretty scarce in the southern Bay areas!

With the B & F gang shepherding everybody out of the woefully marked Green Zones, I managed a respectable bag of 25 decent sized whiting amidst toads, grinners and grassies!

With the “just one more” attitude I noticed the first ripple of cats paws on the water, and paid the price!

The forecast winds roared in right on schedule and in less than 10 minutes I was being beaten to death on my way back to Raby Bay!

But good day overall though I get really agro over the lack of decent marine charts now available to us with those great old WGS-84 charts being withdrawn “due cost cutting” in Dept Transport.

Only 2 yellow warning buoys in some 60 sq kilometres of restricted areas, poor boundary markings on my Garmin plotter yadda yadda so no wonder Fishos wander into the wrong zones by the dozens!

Re: Tuesday in the Rous Ch Moreton Bay

in the small ships channel and rouse, i think the green zone/amity banks are easy to locate, at low tide it is a 2 metre mimimum no go zone, just remembering to add tidal difference as tide rises
    unless it is a big high tide difference, which i need to add bit more, i dont fish under 10 feet

Tuesday in the Rous Ch Moreton Bay

Not sure about your chart plotter but my lowrance one runs Navionics and it clearly shows green zones etc marked in a red line.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Re: Tuesday in the Rous Ch Moreton Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
    Not sure about your chart plotter but my lowrance one runs Navionics and it clearly shows green zones etc marked in a red line.
    GARMIN have crap marking using a tiny, feint purple line that is almost the same as the purple track for the "recommended way to go!"

In a boat with the sun in your eyes, bit rough on the water and trying to pick the boundaries makes it doubly difficult.

The B & F inspectors had a chat to me recently and said to not go by the 2.0 metre low tide rule as there were many places where you could still be in no-fishing - areas!

I think Peel Island is one of the spots where it does work well!