Thread: Outboard Question

Outboard Question

G'day,

Just wondering if I will do damage to my 5HP Yammy if I use her to power a 12ft Tinnie. I know the boat hire places used to do this years ago, but wanna see if you blokes reckon it'll be bad for the motor. Looking to do long runs in her - up to 6km - in the creeks. Will the long runs be bad for her if I take it nice and easy?

Thanks heaps.

Cuzza

Re: Outboard Question

Mate depends how you prop it I guess. If it labours it will blow much sooner than it should.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Thanks, mate.

Yeah, I figured if can't be great for it, but the whole Boat Hire places doing it made me wonder if it's not gonna do that much harm.

I hope you're getting onto a few, mate.

Keen for anymore opinions/experiences.

Cuzza

Ausfish Silver Member

all motors dont like working hard, yes you can keep a motor at high revs if it has the power/torque to do it without straining it, as an example my mower just mows my lawn, as its only a 140cc, but when the lawn is long and it is straining u can smell the heat and temperature come up more then is good for it, mate easy answer is get more hp, but if its all u got/can afford atm, then as u said just cruise it to your spot and it should be fine,
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Silver Member

just read more of your thread,, no it wont hurt it on a long run u can do 10km as long as your not over workin it,

Ausfish Silver Member

also, if its just you and light fishing gear, and it planes it will do it ok id imagine, i had an old bloke and me him and a mate when we were young went in his 13foot flat bottom, he had an old 4hp 2 stroke mariner and in dead calm water it planned us 3, he was decent size, if it planes and isnt screaming and not getting red hot then it should get up up to ur spot..