Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom baitboard/ elfresco gally

Custom baitboard/ elfresco gally

So some of the boats we outfit here at Moose Marine have owners that request an outdoor gally "oweing the fact that cooking inside is a bit squishy and on some models gas complience is a nusence"
    so we have been asked to come up with some outdoor gally options.. we also have been asked for some baitboard options that provide decent support to hold onto as well as span the distance between the swim platforms over the outboard motor

so we have decided to build a few moulds and create our own fairly high end baitboards.. but i thought before i get to glassing, i should ask the good people of ausfish, what they most want in or on a baitboard?

FYI. these boards will have a little over a meter of surface width and about 450mm deep.
    Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Re: Custom baitboard/ elfresco gally

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    So some of the boats we outfit here at Moose Marine have owners that request an outdoor gally "oweing the fact that cooking inside is a bit squishy and on some models gas complience is a nusence"
    so we have been asked to come up with some outdoor gally options.. we also have been asked for some baitboard options that provide decent support to hold onto as well as span the distance between the swim platforms over the outboard motor

so we have decided to build a few moulds and create our own fairly high end baitboards.. but i thought before i get to glassing, i should ask the good people of ausfish, what they most want in or on a baitboard?

FYI. these boards will have a little over a meter of surface width and about 450mm deep.
    Moose
    Hi Moose,
    A built in section to hold knives and tools for fishing or cooking. That’s instead of screwing an attachment onto the side to hold knives securely.
    I don’t mean a trough for them to sit in ( most have that ) I mean slots and holes, so they are less likely to bounce out when under way - in fair sea conditions.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, and the ends and blades of the knives stored must be covered,these bloody things mostly on offer just have a slot to drop the knife into, and you end up having the blade and point hanging straight down where it will slice the unwary who for grab for something underneath.

The problem with baitboards - everybody wants something different. My rig has the factory Seafarer 4 post set up with a couple of modifications - a stainless infill to stop stuff going out the back, a Starboard "trough" with a divider to hold a knife on one side and pliers etc on the other and a couple of drink holders. It's solid enough to swing a couple of 50lb outfits off it without having to worry if they will tear the thing off the boat with a double hook up or snag and is probably just under a metre wide - it's great apart from one thing - at times it's too big and gets in the way while fishing. Most of the actual "bait work is done on a household breadboard that is secured to the middle of it so it doesn't end up hacked to bits.

So a list - solid, rod holders, storage, drink holders, molding for a easily removable sacrificial cutting surface and not too big - should be easy

Oh - and somewhere to hang a bait towel doesn't go astray either

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post

Moose
    So you are saying underneath the bait board you are going to set up a gas burner etc

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

we have a few plans drawn up for a few versions... and hitting the 5 axis machine this week.. but those machines cost an arm and a leg in milling time so we want to knuck out the 3d model on the pc before i hand over a solid brick of gold to them.

The basis is one rather solid board with "superstructure" that can allow for some changes. one of the components is a slide out draw that can hold a butane cooker. bin, or an area for a live well.

we are aiming to get these boards in the 400 dollar to 1200 dollar range.

www.moosemarine.com.au

I think if you are going to make baitboards 1m plus you may have trouble selling them.
    I have been selling custom boards for a few years now and I think I have sold 2 that were a meter plus.
    Boards that long cover rod holders, bait tanks and just take up too much room across the transom.
    My biggest sellers are 500mm boards and then 600-700mm boards.
    Also targeting outboard boats is another headache as all boats have different width engine wells and every boat and motor configuration has a different engine height when tilted up.
    What ever you design to fit outboards, the legs need to be very adjustable to get around all engine setups when they are tilted up.
    There is no such thing as 1 board fits all boats, especially when the customer is looking for a permanently mounted baitboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    I think if you are going to make baitboards 1m plus you may have trouble selling them.
    I have been selling custom boards for a few years now and I think I have sold 2 that were a meter plus.
    Boards that long cover rod holders, bait tanks and just take up too much room across the transom.
    My biggest sellers are 500mm boards and then 600-700mm boards.
    Also targeting outboard boats is another headache as all boats have different width engine wells and every boat and motor configuration has a different engine height when tilted up.
    What ever you design to fit outboards, the legs need to be very adjustable to get around all engine setups when they are tilted up.
    There is no such thing as 1 board fits all boats, especially when the customer is looking for a permanently mounted baitboard.
    agreed. We are building these with our boats in mind. so they will be built to suit them foremost. if they can be accommodated on other boats. groovy

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The problem with baitboards - everybody wants something different. My rig has the factory Seafarer 4 post set up with a couple of modifications - a stainless infill to stop stuff going out the back, a Starboard "trough" with a divider to hold a knife on one side and pliers etc on the other and a couple of drink holders. It's solid enough to swing a couple of 50lb outfits off it without having to worry if they will tear the thing off the boat with a double hook up or snag and is probably just under a metre wide - it's great apart from one thing - at times it's too big and gets in the way while fishing. Most of the actual "bait work is done on a household breadboard that is secured to the middle of it so it doesn't end up hacked to bits.

So a list - solid, rod holders, storage, drink holders, molding for a easily removable sacrificial cutting surface and not too big - should be easy

Oh - and somewhere to hang a bait towel doesn't go astray either
    This for me, except width of 60 - 70cm would do me. More room to manouvre around the transom. Maybe I need to think about a bigger boat?

Bait board requirements

it must drain well and not clog up.
    it needs to have storage for bait and tackle tools ( knives pliers de hooker fish spike)
    It need to have rod holders my preference is for six holders 4 on an angle to fish and 2 that are straight up to hold the rod while baiting / rigging
    it should have a draw or shelf under the main board for more storage this area should have its own light so you can see at night and a curtain over the entrance for rough weather spray or when using the deck wash to clean off the bait board.
    it should have a hand towel rail ( also useful to hang other things on)

as for the galley idea ....well it is probably the most windy position so not ideal and usually really close to fuel supply or venting for the motor so this will take some thought to set up safely.

Have a quick look at Boat Outfitters they have some very Kool set ups for rigging stations and cruising applications lots of very well thought out modules.

BigE

nice and neat module if you want to heat small items

BigE

some after thoughts

a measuring area on the cutting surface and drink holders .... I actually would like drink holders in the shelf space away from the sun and bait.

BigE

Couple more:

- Cutting surface that doesn't go right to the edge of the alloy area/edge, best to leave about 30mm around it so as to create a gutter effect to collect all the runoff and then out through BigE's oversize corner drains. Also means your knifes don't fall off when you forget to put them in the butchers scabbard's

- Good quality builders ruler on the back side (they don't fade in UV)

- I hate those ones that lots of factory boats have where the bait tank is incorporated and the cutting board is also the lid. Water slops everywhere since its not a water tight hatch and all your shit slides to the back every time you get a livie out, seriously not very smart design!

This one on the old rippy (not a great photo worked well)..BigE, might have to borrow that idea of making a couple vertical on the next build, thats a good one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

out station
    nice clean set up mate , like the 2nd shelf in the transom gunnel , i use the butcher scabbards as well.

BigE

Good luck Moose...
    High Quality, custom Sports Fishing Boats.

'you won't find a better built boat'