Thread: Knocking Hull in Yalta555HC

Knocking Hull in Yalta555HC

On a trip out last year we started hearing a knocking noise coming from the hull of my 2009 Yalta555HC.
    It's coming from the area under the passenger seat of the boat ( front left below floor before cab starts).
    We have sent down a camera and can see all around the fuel tank but no signs of moving parts.
    Could it be something in the fuel tank like the fuel sender although I'm sure it's at the back.
    Has anyone had similar issue??
    It doesn't do it every trip but it is a common occurrence, especially if rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Knocking Hull in Yalta555HC

Is there any way something like a big sinker could have rolled in there. Must be access of some kind if you can get a camera in. The other, less palatable reason could be a loose stringer or frame, caused by rot or delamination. I would hope that wouldn't happen in a 9yo boat, though.

Check the seat pedestal screws, known to come loose, if so don't try to screw into the same holes but rotate the base about 25mm and drill new holes, if the shavings come up wet then water ingress has caused the problem if not screw the base down but ensure there is heaps of sika there. Don't forget to fill the old holes. If you are getting wet shavings then you have a problem with stringers.

Knocking ??? what type a metallic knock or some type of structural creak or groan?

does it sound
    metallic
    timber
    plastic

they all have distinct sounds which is likely to assist with diagnosis

BigE

Oh Yeah

is it at rest or under power ?

BigE

Loose baffle in the fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Knocking ??? what type a metallic knock or some type of structural creak or groan?

does it sound
    metallic
    timber
    plastic

they all have distinct sounds which is likely to assist with diagnosis

BigE
    Hi Big E.
    It sounds and feels metallic.
    My mate is a motor mechanic and we got his snake camera up there and can clearly see all around the fuel tank and cavity thus thinking maybe in the tank. Only happens while motoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tanks in those are plastic so it won't be a loose baffle. Are you sure that the floor hasn't separated form the stringers and the sound you are hearing is the floor bouncing on them. I have had to fix a floor in a Yalta as it was soft but in a few places this had happened and you could bounce the floor onto the stringers as the glue have come away.
    Another thing to consider is that there is a drain that runs from the cabin, under the tank and down to the well at the stern. Have you put your camera in there to have a look?
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I'm pretty sure the section under the seats are separated from the fuel tank section.
    But potentially may be open to the hatch made under the seats in the cabin.
    Maybe something has fallen through?

Metallic and under power

I would be looking for something that has come loose, I think the fire ext is near the passenger seat in my yalta , maybe a broken cable support.

a good starting point is a spring clean ,,, take everything out (and i mean every thing ) and see if the sound is still there , if it is your looking for something structural or a permanent fixture , if it gone it was something your removed.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the section under the seats are separated from the fuel tank section.
    But potentially may be open to the hatch made under the seats in the cabin.
    Maybe something has fallen through?
    Yep the under seat sections are separate from the centre section but no you cannot access them from the cabin as there is a bulkhead in the way.

Another place to look is the side storage next to the seat. They goe all the way to the deck and if there is a ball sinker right down the bottom that may be bouncing around in there.

This is probably not it, but a few weeks ago I took a mate out and he was given the job to take the safety chain off as we launched. He did but left the shackles attached to the boat.

During the day I heard this banging/rattling noise and it was driving me made all day.

When back at ramp I saw what the problem was. I was very relieved when I discovered the origin of the noise.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Check the seat pedestal screws, known to come loose, if so don't try to screw into the same holes but rotate the base about 25mm and drill new holes, if the shavings come up wet then water ingress has caused the problem if not screw the base down but ensure there is heaps of sika there. Don't forget to fill the old holes. If you are getting wet shavings then you have a problem with stringers.
    Self tapper screws they used certainly will come loose, and at the most inconvenient time, like crossing south passage bar like mine did. For a more permanent fix, cut yourself two rounds ( i have pedastal seats) out of marine ply, slightly bigger than the seat base, glass onto the floor and use the old tappers to hold while glass goes off. I pre drilled the rounds and located up turned bolts before glueing down so i had bolts to mount the seat bases. A little off topic, back to the original. Yours and my boat are exactly the same vintage, 555hc 2009. I doubt there would be anything structural, it would have to be something loose in the storage under the cabin cushions or somewhere like that.

Good luck with it.
    Brian

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Any updates on this problem mate, keen to hear if you found it..