Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VSR vs DC/DC chargers

Re: VSR vs DC/DC chargers

Hi Sam, I am not certain about the Yamaha’s but the Suzuki does definitely regulate the charge depending on the state of charge of the house battery. When the battery is low it pumps in way more than when it is getting back up to full.
    I am not sure about relays but the Suzuki needs an additional fuse put in the AUX socket. If yours is in the fuse panel as indicated, it may be a fuse also? I am uncertain what amp fuse it is now but it is pink. I think they call them a link fuse or something like that? I have spares if you want to try one?

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Sam, if you type “pink fuse link ford” into the google, the 2nd listing under “Parts Lunicy” is the same fuse that the Suzuki uses. It is 30 amps. If you are buying one, be careful and know the actual size of yours as there are various sizes of the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Lee, I need to do some more research as the cable supplied by Yamaha includes an inline fuse but on the motor there is a fuse box with a spare fuse space and a spare relay spot. The handout they supply is pretty useless at identifying them. I just have to finish my current project of rendering and tiling before I can get into it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Lee, I need to do some more research as the cable supplied by Yamaha includes an inline fuse but on the motor there is a fuse box with a spare fuse space and a spare relay spot. The handout they supply is pretty useless at identifying them. I just have to finish my current project of rendering and tiling before I can get into it properly.
    IF you can tell me the exact model number, which is top line in the serial number sticker and the year letter which is the singe letter on the bottom line, I will see if I can find a service manual and I will take a look at the wiring diagram for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    IF you can tell me the exact model number, which is top line in the serial number sticker and the year letter which is the singe letter on the bottom line, I will see if I can find a service manual and I will take a look at the wiring diagram for you.
    Thanks Andy, I will try and do it in the next day or so as I am laid up at the moment and need to get over it by Tuesday at the latest. The useless user manual doesn't even show where the fuse box is let alone a diagram but it does say to plug in a propriety plug from Yamaha for an auxiliary battery and that is the extent of any mention of this cable.

OK, on way back from the docs I had to go past the boat so here's the motor details. Yamaha F150 AET, 63P, X, 1096953, D

OK, on way back from the docs I had to go past the boat so here's the motor details. Yamaha F150 AET, 63P, X, 1096953, D
    Looking at the schematic, they call the second battery the "Accessory Battery".

The only thing between the regulator and the wire they expose for the accessory battery is a fuse. That fuse is rated for 50A.

Looking at the diagrams, the fuse box appears to be on the port side, at the front and down the bottom. There is 2 larger fuses at the top. The very top one is fuse for the house battery.

I can see the spare spot for the second relay in the drawings, but the service manual makes no reference to it at all. Looking through the other drawings shows nothing also. It appears there is also an anti theft option (Y-COP), and I guess its possible it uses that relay, but if it does I certainly cant see it in the service manual.

Need to add a little disclaimer here, I am referring to manuals online, so they may not be for APAC motors. I would add the fuse, put the motor on muffs and use a multimeter to check the voltage on the lead.

Also, based on the serial number details you posted, the motor appears to have been manufactured in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Looking at the schematic, they call the second battery the "Accessory Battery".

The only thing between the regulator and the wire they expose for the accessory battery is a fuse. That fuse is rated for 50A.

Looking at the diagrams, the fuse box appears to be on the port side, at the front and down the bottom. There is 2 larger fuses at the top. The very top one is fuse for the house battery.

I can see the spare spot for the second relay in the drawings, but the service manual makes no reference to it at all. Looking through the other drawings shows nothing also. It appears there is also an anti theft option (Y-COP), and I guess its possible it uses that relay, but if it does I certainly cant see it in the service manual.

Need to add a little disclaimer here, I am referring to manuals online, so they may not be for APAC motors. I would add the fuse, put the motor on muffs and use a multimeter to check the voltage on the lead.

Also, based on the serial number details you posted, the motor appears to have been manufactured in 2011.
    Thanks Andy, I found lots of circuit diagrams for Ford F150's but really struggled to find one for a Yammie. All the pictures on the Hull Truth and a couple of others I found points to the red cable so I figured that was it but I was going to test it. Using the motor as the negative should be OK?

Thanks Andy, I found lots of circuit diagrams for Ford F150's but really struggled to find one for a Yammie. All the pictures on the Hull Truth and a couple of others I found points to the red cable so I figured that was it but I was going to test it. Using the motor as the negative should be OK?
    I found multiple service manuals for the f150a, there was one here https://www.manualslib.com/download/...aha-F150a.html that is dated 2003 that has some info on the charge lead. I did find some later ones, but there is less detail on the electrics. I downloaded a PDF version of the one of manualslib, so if you cant get it let me know and I will chuck it up on dropbox.

Might be worth talking to Spandiard King also. Even thought he is a Honda man , he services my Yam's and knows more about them than the local dealer.

EDIT. Forgot to say that negative will be the same as for the main battery.

Andy that certainly has a lot more information than any I've found, thanks,

Hi Dignity,
    How did you go?
    It looks like you are on top of this but if you need more info I'll send through the links I found.

TMC

Update due. I checked out all the various links posted and looked for more info but still struggled to get a definitive answer on some of my questions. Being housebound for a bit and after having a good look at the termination plug supplied on the auxiliary charging outlet I decided to give it a go and make a cable myself. Now the end of the aux charging plug is basically a male blade terminal, so I got a female blade terminal the correct size and put it in the blanking plug after removing the yellow sealing plug where the cable normally goes. I couldn't see anything to stop me using it so I got hold of some rated high temp cable, terminated it with the female blade fitting and heatshrinked it over, this caused me a slight problem as I only ever use dual wall these days and the extra thickness pushed the terminal slightly out of alignment. A bit of jiggling and it fit perfectly, looking through my bits and pieces I even found a grommet with a mushroom head that fitted perfectly to seal the end of the plug. After threading it through to the house battery I installed a circuit breaker and for a measly $33 all done except of course I did have to change the way some of my other wiring was done through the 1, 1+2, 2 way switch but that only required a few mods and a label on the switch warning to trip the CB before doing any switching, This isn't strictly necessary from what I've read but I prefer to isolate everything first, think about what I am about to do so it is for my benefit only.

Next step is to run the motor with the aux charging circuit isolated first to check for current flow but as the gods have willed the weather has decided to work against me, I don't have enough water pressure to use muffs at home although I might borrow a mobile tank for the job.

I also ended up wiring in a pair of battery monitors which set me back $13, supposedly waterproof, I ended up making a gasket out of some sheet neoprene for the main housing to ensure no water got behind into the terminals. At the end of the day I find great satisfaction in the end result and if it works as expected will crack a beer in celebration.

Once again I thank everyone for their contribution as otherwise I would have ended by buying a VSR or DC/DC charger and in the end not have had an optimal solution (to me at least).

I took the boat out on the weekend and the Auxiliary charging circuit worked like a charm. No more hassles with 2 way battery switches (kept it though in case a battery dies and i need to switch across) and depending on memory.