Thread: Salting Mullet

Salting Mullet

Hi All

Does anyone here salt whole mullet for bait?

I've read that you can salt mullet fillets and whole pillies but nothing on whole mullet.

I need some whole mullet to take unrefrigerated for an extended crabbing trip.

Cheers, Ivan

Re: Salting Mullet

I would just chuck some salt ( rock ) in and Cryovac them. They will last a long time.

Cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Do they then have to be refrigerated? Will they work just as well for crabs? I had the impression crabs like their mullet as fresh as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I would just chuck some salt ( rock ) in and Cryovac them. They will last a long time.

Cheers
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

What we have left over at days end goes into ziplock plastic bags and gets frozen to take out next time incase livies are on the lean side.. Use once and then into the briney feed the fish or you can use for crab pots though might be a tad soft which i doubt will matter so long as they arent on the nose.

In the NT before the crab pros were banned in the Gulf one of them had cryovaced bags of beef in his centre cab cuddy, reckoned he would go days with them so long as they were in a cool place.

I always use swimming pool salt---lots of it-- on frozen pillies, and fresh mullet fillets when packing them in sealed plastic trays---- then into the freezer. I find if they thaw or partially thaw on a fishing trip, then they can be refrozen with no ill effects.
    They are even better the second time around as they are tougher , easier to bait up, and harder to get off the hook.
    The fish don't seem to care.
    Cav(J.C.)

I use rock salt. Always salt prawn pieces day before. Use them chasing whiting and are nice and tough
    Works same on pilles, but i was it off before using them as everything u touch goes salty

I only salt them when they come out of the frying pan...and a little pepper and lemon juice too.