Thread: what will plain easier please..

Ausfish Silver Member

what will plain easier please..

hey gang,

im looking at 2 tinnies, they both have there for and against for which one would be best, it all has come down to which one will plain easier, see i only have a 15hp and the boat will be 2 up plus dog, esky, and fuel tank, one boat is 3.5m v nose punt, as its flat bottom and has more planing surface would it take less power to plain compared to option 2, 3.15m vee hull, more power isnt an option as i have a motor now, the smaller boat is less length to cartop, but the 3.5 has a bit more room for us, at the end of the day i know with the weight ill have in it (trying to keep it down to plain) will be at the motors limit, so i dont want to buy 1 if its got less chance of planing, at the end of the day if it still dont plane ill putt to day spots then cruise around having fun with some weight on the shore... ooohh and btw they both weight 70 and 71 kg so no issue there, just the easiest hull to plane. thanks..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Re: what will plain easier please..

Go the 3.5

Length of the boat is only relevant here because of its effect on weight. For similar sized boats, how easily a boat planes is best estimated/compared by looking at the ratio of loaded displacement to beam. Where that number and loaded displacement are similar then look at dead rise with flatter being faster ( in smooth water)

long answer Choose your boat based on design characteristics such as these http://marine.marsh-design.com/sites...uly_page_1.png

http://marine.marsh-design.com/conte...gth-beam-ratio

Short answer What scottar said
    What could go wrong.......................

Blog Entries

+3 on the 3.5 punt

My cousin and I go out on his. Same set up. Both big blokes. 4 crab pots and all the gear. Up on the plane no dramas (15hp Suze 4 stroke)

Note, once we got 1 more in no more planing

Ausfish Silver Member

thanks lads, i was hoping the 3.5 would plane easier as id like a bit more room, the 3.15 would not stick over me box trailer as much, but yeah i want to go miles up the creeks and explore so it be good to be doing more then walking speed,,

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post
    Length of the boat is only relevant here because of its effect on weight. For similar sized boats, how easily a boat planes is best estimated/compared by looking at the ratio of loaded displacement to beam. Where that number and loaded displacement are similar then look at dead rise with flatter being faster ( in smooth water)
    so as i slightly longer and wider boat with the same weight floats a little higher then a smaller boat,, it will have less to lift out of the water?

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    +3 on the 3.5 punt

My cousin and I go out on his. Same set up. Both big blokes. 4 crab pots and all the gear. Up on the plane no dramas (15hp Suze 4 stroke)

Note, once we got 1 more in no more planing

aweome funchy, good example for me to go by,, i clicked like for ur post,, heres one for your dog LIKE... i got dogs also.. and heres a like for your quote LIKE.,. i love it.. maybe ausfish should let us like more then once.. ha ha ..

No other way around you want a lighter wider boat. Lift for a given speed is proportional to the beam at the transom

My 3.5 barra punt with a Merc 15 super, 2 passengers (200 kg), 2 batteries (about 30kg in total), electronics, 20 litre main tank with a second 10 litre jerry can, 12mm ply false floor, esky, fishing and safety gear and a minn kota bow mount plane's pretty readily with a solas foil. Sits on around 14-16 knots pretty happily in flat water.

Ausfish Silver Member

kool scottar,, how many beers in the esky? just to assess the weight for the thread of course,, or maybe to see how many i can take ha ha. ( when camping of course not while driving)..