Thread: Which WINCH

Which WINCH

Looks like I’m up for a new winch.

Are all manual winches the same or are there good and bad.

Recommendations please

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Which WINCH

Shakey, I've been through the process of buying one to convert into new starter motor jobby. I recon the alko's are the strongest because of the their "full box" construction, google and you will get what I mean, I purchased a jarret 10/5/1 because it was easier for me to convert onto the starter and upon pulling it apart today it seems pretty good. More of a traditional open top design though.
    Scott

Oh where to begin. so two big styles are Gyspy windless style and drum winch. both have pros and cons

Windless gypsy winches work by ":hand over hand" pulling rope and chain or just chain around a gypsy into a locker. the benifit of this is that the capacity is only limited to how much space and weight you can take in your anchor well. Though you are restricted on the size of rope and chain. on most trailer boats its 6mm short link chain and 12mm rope.
    Downside of these winches is they do tend to go through rope/chain rodes often. even the best quality rope chain splice fails eventually. sometimes rather quick depending on the type of water you are anchoring in and how the rode is stored.
    Anecode. we change out rope chains far to often on some clients boats.

Of this style of winch there are a few big brands

Lewmar , Muir are the 2 big players in australia "along with Quick, South pacific" Muir is a good tasmanian based company and world leaders as are Lewmar. cant go wrong with either in most reguads.

The other winch option is a drum style.

Crash course in drum winch history "Drum winches were often made by smaller local engineering companies for big boats or comercial boats that wanted reliability with winching. then came brands like Stressfree out of S.A and MUIR out of tas that made recreational and retail winches. these though were rather expensive. here in vic there was an EXPLOSION in 2010/11 of brands producing winches. from the likes of QMF, SAV, MICKS WINCH, UFF, BELL MARINE, LONE STAR MARINE, and even some back yarders.

most of them had at least the drums made here in australia. with motors from china and gear boxes either from china or italy. ... years later we got the winch wars between a few brands and things got nasty down here in victoria.... but the upshot is we now have rather high quality winches at a more affordable price. the big players are LONE STAR MARINE, STRESSFREE MARINE, and BELL MARINE.
    Lonestar has taken out pretty much all the acolades for their GX series of winches. power, build quality. reliability. service. they are not the cheapest or the most expensive. so when it comes to drum winches i would be suggesting a lonestar marine GX drum winch,

.........................oh hang about. i just realised you were talking about trailer winches.

well then smaller boats "ALKO, JARRET, VIKING, FULTON or ATLANTIC. are the big players in decent trailer winches.

now i feel like a dick

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

No - not all manual winches are the same. Take a look at the bushes that the shafts run on - if they are plastic or nylon, leave the winch on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    Oh where to begin. so two big styles are Gyspy windless style and drum winch. both have pros and cons

Windless gypsy winches work by ":hand over hand" pulling rope and chain or just chain around a gypsy into a locker. the benifit of this is that the capacity is only limited to how much space and weight you can take in your anchor well. Though you are restricted on the size of rope and chain. on most trailer boats its 6mm short link chain and 12mm rope.
    Downside of these winches is they do tend to go through rope/chain rodes often. even the best quality rope chain splice fails eventually. sometimes rather quick depending on the type of water you are anchoring in and how the rode is stored.
    Anecode. we change out rope chains far to often on some clients boats.

Of this style of winch there are a few big brands

Lewmar , Muir are the 2 big players in australia "along with Quick, South pacific" Muir is a good tasmanian based company and world leaders as are Lewmar. cant go wrong with either in most reguads.

The other winch option is a drum style.

Crash course in drum winch history "Drum winches were often made by smaller local engineering companies for big boats or comercial boats that wanted reliability with winching. then came brands like Stressfree out of S.A and MUIR out of tas that made recreational and retail winches. these though were rather expensive. here in vic there was an EXPLOSION in 2010/11 of brands producing winches. from the likes of QMF, SAV, MICKS WINCH, UFF, BELL MARINE, LONE STAR MARINE, and even some back yarders.

most of them had at least the drums made here in australia. with motors from china and gear boxes either from china or italy. ... years later we got the winch wars between a few brands and things got nasty down here in victoria.... but the upshot is we now have rather high quality winches at a more affordable price. the big players are LONE STAR MARINE, STRESSFREE MARINE, and BELL MARINE.
    Lonestar has taken out pretty much all the acolades for their GX series of winches. power, build quality. reliability. service. they are not the cheapest or the most expensive. so when it comes to drum winches i would be suggesting a lonestar marine GX drum winch,

.........................oh hang about. i just realised you were talking about trailer winches.

well then smaller boats "ALKO, JARRET, VIKING, FULTON or ATLANTIC. are the big players in decent trailer winches.

now i feel like a dick
    And I thought he was talking about deep drop winches.😐

No not all wenches are the same, mine is a good decky :-)
    Cheers
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post

now i feel like a dick
    Good luck then Moose I hope you get one.