Thread: cruisecraft Rover 663 value

cruisecraft Rover 663 value

Hi,
    I have my eye on a cruisecraft Rover 663 that is in somebody's yard close to where I live. The guy that owns it looks like he must be in his mid 80's and it just looks like the boat has gotten a bit beyond him. Obviously I haven't don't more than look at it as I slowly drive past, but it all looks original and seems to be sitting on a 10-15yr old trailer that still looks at least serviceable. But the boat is absolutely filthy from sitting under trees without moving and it looks like all the upholstery would need replacing. The hull looks good and seems to have never been anti fouled.

Firstly, has anyone ever been out in one of these boats?
    What are they like offshore?
    I would be using it primarily for cruising over to Moreton Island with my partner with the occasional trip to deep tempest/ caloundra wide. I would never really be looking to fish more than 3 people out of it.

secondly, I'm not looking to rip off the elderly owner. I am going to start by writing a letter in which i'll make what I think is a fair offer and leave it in the mailbox. I know theres a good chance he will just throw it in the bin, but you never know. So presuming the motor (mercruiser) and all the upholstery is stuffed and the general hull is good what would be a fair starting offer for such a boat?

I would just be planning on dropping a new V6 mercruiser into it and keeping it all as standard as possible. Has been given a rough quote of about 20K to install a new 250HP 4.5L V6 with alpha leg.

Re: cruisecraft Rover 663 value

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...isecraft-rover

and http://www.intafreedom.com/boats/rover663cover.htm

and http://www.omniaclassifiedsaustralia...ft-Rover-1060/

Values all over the place.

You might be better off knocking on the door and talking to the gentleman!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Assuming a good trailer, I'd be thinking about $2K. I know that sounds like a lowball but that boat will have a masonite floor, poorly sealed ply transom and stringers and I'd put money on the whole lot being rotted out. Especially if it's been sitting under a bunch of trees uncovered. So, $15K to replace all that, plus another $10K for a new mercruiser, plus another $5K for upholstery, canopy and clears. All of a sudden you've thrown $30K at a an early 80's boat with very limited resale.

I've done a similar thing to its little brother for sentimental reasons so I've lived the dream!!

There was a 625 Scorpion that the bloke put around $40K into and struggled to sell near $30K. Another one needing a full resto got as low as $2K before being sold. I'd bet for less than $2K.

Be very sure you want to go down this path before parting with a dollar.

Cheers
    Craig.

Ausfish Silver Member

yeah for that money unless the boat does something others cant or as ct said sentimental reasons, for the money your throwing around you should get something ready to go and get ur missus out on the water sooner without hours and weeks of work..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..