Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ants in the boat

Re: Ants in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    just spray surface spray or what others have recommended on any part, ie tyres, jocket wheel tyre, that are coming into contact with the ground.....no need to spray in boat after you have exterminated them onboard
    Oh no, not the tyres. The boss bought some moretein extra strong stuff, once sprayed I can't seem go get it off the tiles or walls easily, requires a lot of soap and scrubbing. With regards to tyres i would be a bit suss about spraying them, it might be just me, but I've seen what some of this stuff does to my concrete floor in the shed.

Little white plastic bottle of Ant Rid it may be called??, from the big green shed.
    Find where they are comming in or few drops among em.
    They will take it back to nest and problem fixed.
    Always carry a small bottle in the Caravan as will Always have a visit by these little pests in some van Park or other and soon as I see their entry I squeeze a few drops among them and leave there.
    Next day they are all gone!!. Works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Oh no, not the tyres. The boss bought some moretein extra strong stuff, once sprayed I can't seem go get it off the tiles or walls easily, requires a lot of soap and scrubbing. With regards to tyres i would be a bit suss about spraying them, it might be just me, but I've seen what some of this stuff does to my concrete floor in the shed.
    Some of it's not great on silicone either. Missus bought some from Aldi and when I sprayed it along the window sill of the kitchen bench, the silicone bead that sealed the bench to the window track curled up it's toes and died big time - instantaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Little white plastic bottle of Ant Rid it may be called??, from the big green shed.
    Find where they are comming in or few drops among em.
    They will take it back to nest and problem fixed.
    Always carry a small bottle in the Caravan as will Always have a visit by these little pests in some van Park or other and soon as I see their entry I squeeze a few drops among them and leave there.
    Next day they are all gone!!. Works a treat.
    Doesn't work on a lot of ants around my place unfortunately. The protein loving ants can be quite small, really tiny and they totally ignore ant rid, I have some invading light switches in the shed that cheese me off, every now and then turn the light on and zzzzz zzzzz , the buggers have gotten in again and i usully have to strip the switch, spray every where and wait for them to come back. To get rid of them I need to make a paste of peanut butter and boric acid (honey and boric acid is basically the same as an rid at a fraction of the cost), just can't get around to it. I do have a new product I want to try next time as a surface spray, I'm told even the Asian geckos don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Doesn't work on a lot of ants around my place unfortunately. The protein loving ants can be quite small, really tiny and they totally ignore ant rid, I have some invading light switches in the shed that cheese me off, every now and then turn the light on and zzzzz zzzzz , the buggers have gotten in again and i usully have to strip the switch, spray every where and wait for them to come back. To get rid of them I need to make a paste of peanut butter and boric acid (honey and boric acid is basically the same as an rid at a fraction of the cost), just can't get around to it. I do have a new product I want to try next time as a surface spray, I'm told even the Asian geckos don't like it.
    Yep - I agree. The ant rid in the little bottle has been ignored, I bought ant rid baits - they are the plastic square ones with 4 entrances, designed to give them a feed and take them back to the queen. They are not interested, I placed them in 3 different locations throughout the boat and watched them over the next few hours. The ants must be vegetarian or something.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Some of it's not great on silicone either. Missus bought some from Aldi and when I sprayed it along the window sill of the kitchen bench, the silicone bead that sealed the bench to the window track curled up it's toes and died big time - instantaneously.
    Scott what is it called as I could use some of that

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Yep - I agree. The ant rid in the little bottle has been ignored, I bought ant rid baits - they are the plastic square ones with 4 entrances, designed to give them a feed and take them back to the queen. They are not interested, I placed them in 3 different locations throughout the boat and watched them over the next few hours. The ants must be vegetarian or something.
    Vegan ants 😂😂,next time you open your peanut paste jar smear a bit somewhere and if they swarm to it you'll have your answer, I just don't have any in the cupboard and it never ends up on the shopping list.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Your asking Scott to reveal a trade secret here.

Use the same stuff that you use for termites.

Termidor or similar (fibrinol AI) termites don't notice it and hence avoid it and seems ants behave the same. They get it on their bodies and take it back to the nest and kill the queen which is what you want to do. Takes a little time but the result is worth it; a lot like foreplay!
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Can't remember off hand Brett. Only recall it was Aldi supplied. It would have been their own brand as such as it was a few years back begore they started stocking any name brand stuff.

Tried most things, but Bayer Wasp and Ant Dust, follow instructions of course, stops them completely.

Temprid 75. It is what the pro's use. A little expensive at around $70 for a litre but it will be enough for your boat and to do your whole house around 10 times with a 5 litre spraypack
    My pest control guy put me onto it for a do it yourself . Apparently the ants go back to nest poisoning it...it also takes care of most other pests..
    I am not in danger, I am the danger - Walter White

Dave Gray verdict? Knocks them dead for a few days.. then discovered today the little sh!ts found a new access ramp via the jockey wheel, up the wynch post and in. Hit them again, need another to try, I feel its only a matter of time and they'll do an Arnie.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Dave Gray verdict? Knocks them dead for a few days.. then discovered today the little sh!ts found a new access ramp via the jockey wheel, up the wynch post and in. Hit them again, need another to try, I feel its only a matter of time and they'll do an Arnie.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Feel the pain. I looked through the shed and I can't find what I used. May be if the wife looked she will find it as for some reason their eyes are much better. I am heading down to Bunnings to pick up some project materials and will get some more to have on hand. Once I see it on the shelf I will remember.